Sign in to follow this  
T-REX

How many Tunnel Vee owners here???

Tunnel Vee's are a vee bottom wit sponsons on the outside...LTV's (Laser Tunnel Vee), the early STV's also had a vee bottom for a center sponson...They drive and have totally diffrent charatiristics than thier square center sponson cousinz...They were designed for Mod VP racing and were hard to beat because of the quick acceleration and turning capibilities, but top end left sum to be desired...REX

Come on

Rex  time for another arguement.    The square cousins   turn alot sharper than the tunnel Vs   That was the biggest problem with the Modvp  to many bottom designs. If they had rules like the SSt 120 Where the bottom had to be built to a certain spec it would of helped make the Mod Vp a safer class. The tunnel Vs  slide more through a turn where the square sided sponson boats like the mirages cut and turn.  Noww it's your turn Rex   You will Loose this aurgument  The v Bottom did help with acceleration but not turning  Don't beleive me ask BK.

OK, U talked me into it...In Mod VP dayz, the LTV wuz one of the first tunnel vee's (actually the first I do believe) and upon its introduction, it wuz a winning boat...Why did it win so many races??? Turning capibilities and acceleration off the turns!!! I never said that the Vee Tunnels would out turn the square sponson tunnels, BUT ya have ta show me it WILL...Thru the years the builders(in this case Summerford) took the best traits of the boats he built and progressed with them...The only way to win is to progress...this years boat won't be "THE" boat next year(in most cases)...Tunnel Vee's did what they were designed to do!!! I have drove sum square tunnel boats and several tunnel Vee's...I kan't see no turning diffrence, My LTV would thro ya ass out the side, but wouldn't slide in a turn...Now, yes in a gradule turn, it ain't hitt'in on crap for handling...but niether iz a square sponson boat...The front of the Vee had az much to do with turning az the tunnels...the tunnels just added to the turn, not doing it!!! My Laser 380 will turn with the best of tha best...modified tunnels included...I an't talkin no F-1 or champ tunnels, so don't go there, I'm talking STV's amd Mirages...and the 380 iz a Vee bottom!!! I'll have to show ya one day, cuz I no ya don't believe it...but kan back it up!!! I'm no tunnell expert(actually no expert on nutt'in), But I dun a lot of research on LTV's when I started my lil "Raptor" project, that included talking to Roark Summerford several times on the boat...and in early Mod VP dayz, the Laser V and LTV wuz the boats to beat...Now I won't argue wit U on the turning capibilities of the square sponson boat, because I've only drove a couple,,,But I will argue the point of the Tunnel Vee being the baddest of tha bad in it's day!!! And U better have Yo ducks in a row if ya thank U kan out turn my 380!!! Congradulations, U lose anuther arguement...don't believe me...ask me!!!.....Vee's Rule, LTV's are cool, square tunnels are jus a lil faster than a dead mule!!! See ya, REX :p

my my   Rex   you just gonna have to experience my Mirage in the turns.  It will throw you through the side of the boat and turn sharper at higher speeds than that ole boat of yours.  Think we can have a challenge here? My boat WILL out turn yours and is faster toooooo.LOL  Really the square tunnel turn better. They both turn better than a v-bottom but the square sides have to 90* surfaces to the water. The v will push down and skip then the only square side will catch. This will cause a hop and slide turn. Period You are wrong. Now your turn , this is fun.  Can't wait til summer to have more things to do than argue with you. but it will do til then. Just as long as you remember you are wrong. LOL

OK, well lets just add another boat to the challenge. First know your bottoms, the modern STV has square tunnels, it also does not blow over like a Mirage. It is documented in the record books who the king of the race course, and STV owned it for over a decade, right up to the end.

Long short of it is a Mirage will get whipped by an STV.

Firewalker,                                                                                                                                                                     Redd won one year driven a merragee. Then died.                                                                                                                                                                             John Rude.

Well, apearantally U ain't never dun a 80mph turn in a Laser Vee bottom boat...Maybe we kan set up 2 boues and see why can do a couple laps da fastest..what ya think??? U need to do a lil Laser/stv home work, U wouldn't be so quick to support that "blow over king" mirage on how fast it iz...LTV's would git ya ass wet in a heartbeat, and the owners knew it, but they run them cuz they got the job dun(if it didn't blow over)...I have NO luv loss for Mirage, cuz I lost 2 good friends in them...same hull, same fashion...since have heard a lot of horror stories from other Mirage owners...They all will blow over, I have almost blew my Laser over, but sum jus are known for it...My Laser turns better than Yo,s, faster, and tha driver iz #### sho better lookin than U iz...U snooze Ulooze...Later REX

I know a lot of guy's that won i MOD VP with mirages. Steve Coleman was 2nd in points 2 years in a row  behind redd one year and rickjy commer the next. James cheatum drove mirage also.  there are several that won. I would think as may mirages won as STV's   the best handling boat I think is the Vision craft that ricky was develping with the seebolds right before he was killed.

I just bought a euro, and I owned a sleekcraft aristacrat tunnel, but I dont think thats what you mean....

OH YA.... I had a tunnel V like what you are inquiring about.  How could I forget.  A Valero YT Hull.  Argueably the worst riding boat in history.  It was fine in anything under 6" chop.  Any more than that and it rocked, porpoised, and felt like someone was hitting you in the back with a 2x4.  That bottom design needed a serious make over.  The sucker accelerated great but handled awful.  The LTV is much better from what I hear, but if my STV handles anything like my Sleekcraft did in the rough, I'll be happy.  Turned great, just was a bit too heavy.

AZH

Guest STV Bob K

I thought the Vegas XT was a Tunnel V.  I owned one for 12 years.  Speeds above 70 MPH it handle like flying a kite.

How many of U guyz owned or drove a tunnel Vee and what do U think of them???

Well I guess since this is a STV owners forum, all of us have owned and drove them, and I am sure that all will agree, we love them, they are a blast.

How many of U guyz owned or drove a tunnel Vee and what do U think of them???

Well I guess since this is a STV owners forum, all of us have owned and drove them, and I am sure that all will agree, we love them, they are a blast.

Rex isn't speaking of your everyday stv picklefork tunnel hull