Sign in to follow this  
CLAMP ON'S RULE

I Have a race cowl problem

I bought a race cowling for my procomp. I went to install it and there is huge gaps on both sides. Like it changed shape. Any ideas how to repair it? This is supposed to be an original Roark piece.

post-2-1057413511.jpg

It sure looks nice.

Don't know how you can "fix" it since it shouldn't change shape. It might help to put it in the sun and get both to the same hot temp but doubt that will do much.

You might be able to install guides to push this gap closed. If the sides flex enough this should work. The guides could be installed on this cowl so the rear seat one isn't affected.

It looks great even in black!

Like Techno said, heat might work.  Maybe a heat gun from the underside.  If you pull on it, will it make it over to close in the gap?  Not sure how it would look but you put a bungy system or something like is used on the cowling.  

Snowmobile racers do that to hold their hood down like that as well.

Does look good.  Always thought a new set of Triad buckets and a race cowl would of looked real good in my ProComp.

ProComp

I stuck a adjustable hood prop between the edges and have it pushed out. It's pretty stiff. I'll try putting it out in the sun like that and see if it will even come back enough where I could pin it. Thanks for the ideas

With the 'spreader' in there it appears to be a perfect fit...maybe it was a heat problem where it was stored and a few days in the sun will solve the problem...

:D      Nah, just tell them it's your new 100 MPH towel drier. Works really well. the faster you go the faster the towels dry.

FYI, on the inside of the cowl on my PCS, I have two aluminum rails on each side.  They stick up and the edges of the cowls catch on them.  My race cowl is also like yours, but maybe not quite as bad.  I put it down, then have to spread it to get it to catch the edges.

post-2-1057551071.jpg

YES...like Keith said...that is VERY Normal on the race cowl. They need to be used more regularly to maintain the shape you need. Trust me if you use it more frequently...it will be less likely to return to the shape it is now. But like Keith said...you need those aluminum rails to hold it in place. They are very flexible so don't be scared to to pull/push as you have.

How's this for inginuity? A little Carbon Fiber and presto, it fits. It's in the rough stage now, but a little sanding and paint and bingo. Thanks for all the ideas on how to fix it. Any body know if you can still buy the rubber that runs around the edge still?

post-2-1058318728.jpg

Try

www.mcmaster.com

Enter ...Push-on vinyl edge trim...in the search box and hit the 'find' button..

This looks like the same stuff the interior is trimed with

NICE WORK and IDEA...CLAMP-ON...That should add some extra service life to the Cowl too!!!