Sign in to follow this  
STV dreamer

100 MPH+ club

Had to pop in and let ya'll know I hit triple digits this wknd.

I know most of you have see these #'s daily, but this is my first season w/my rig.

Spinning my 15x32 best speed has been 94-96ish. Been playing w/oil mix ratios and ran 94 octane in 5 litre tankfulls for weight and pulled a 97.9 MPH on GPS Saturday. Then on Sunday it rained all morning till 2pm...lake was perfectly flat and NO traffic...I just wanted to go for a blast. Went first pass paying no attention to GPS but my ears were flapping harder than any other pass (LOL) and when I stopped it read 101MPH even. FINALY!

Looking forward to a 30 ET/cleaver to spin as I understand thats THE prop.

post-1-1058811492.jpg

WAY to GO RICH...

See there is that 3 month factor that I tell the guys about....now give it another 2 seasons and that number should be in the 105 to 108 range with one of the 30inchers...

GOOD NEWS... I am having mine (14.5" x 30" Cleaver) repaired so it should be a good test wheel...went to see Harold today...BTW had a long chat with him and that cup on the leading edge (ET clone) KILLS RPM...(my worst fear come true!!!;)

Phone me and I can fill you in on more details

Welcome to the club :D . The first year with mine from spring to winter 5 months I went from low 90's to just over 100. IT just takes time.

......... nice Rich !! Way to go bud !!

I just went 123 mph this past Saturday with a 34" Lab Cleaver. Not bad for 118-120 lbs of comp. in all cyl.  Now lets start bolting on the parts !!!!!!

Jeff

PS ... sorry for not calling on Fri. We need to run together soon.

Congrats Dreamer! Good job. I have yet to do it.

Yammer... very impressive. Its a nice pay off after all of the hard work huh?

Thanks! (taking a bow) LOL.  Figure I spent 250 on oil and Appx.7-800 on fuel to get the seat time but its worth it.

Truley have to say the boat is really easy to handle...had a couple of scares...like blowing a prop and hitting unexpected big wakes at speed, but never have felt like I was out of control. That alone makes me comfortable enough to push it harder. Raising the motor does make it eaier to handle too (think RT said that).

Yammer....I'd love to just see that beast fly bye. Saw the Yellow Ally on Sunday and he mentioned possibly trying for Wed. after work or Friday. Also really interested in that Yammy prop if it works well and is minty. Give me a ring.

BIG WAVES....

just stay in it...

LET OFF...the nose drops...then hold on!!!! YIKES

TAKES some getting used to...and I know they come up real fast in a 100mph boat ( means that wave 150 ft away is just 1 second away)

The STV makes you have to look further ahead when driving...so you can read those waves well in advance...it takes practice.

New Member - ME!

Borrowed a buddies 28ET made one pass and hit 100 GPS on the nose.  Conditions were hot and sticky and water was smooth as glass.  Still think it has more in it.

The Ontario boys were right again, I think the ET is the ticket for the Euro. Handled great, very little torque on the wheel and re-entered the water probably as friendly as its going to get.  Boat handled like my ProComp with the cleaver.  Nice.

Also pulled 91.7 mph on GPS with a 26 Mazco with 2 people in the boat.  RPM was somewhere around 8500+. Yikes.  I think maybe I should put the rev limiter back on before I blow this thing up.  Hard not to stand on it when another Euro pulls up beside you!!!!!!!   You guys know how that is.

Brad

Brad,

I had a 26" ET on my old Euro with a stock 260.  103 GPS with a passenger at 8350-8400 with 1.87 gears in a sportmaster.  You've got lots to go with that ET.  Fly it flat.  That Mazco 26" sounds inefficient, was it a small diameter?  What kind of revs were you pulling with the 28" ET?  Just interested.

Jamie

Jamie, thanks for the feedback.  Sounds like I could live with a 26ET too.  I guess I'll see which one I find first as the 28ET is borrowed.  Forgot to look at the rpm's as it was the first and only pass I made with this prop as was concerned with just driving it and looking ahead.  

The 26 Mazco has a lot less blade than an ET.  Not sure about the dia. but it looks small.  The mid range is incredible too.  Fun prop.  Looks like some cup has been taken out of it.

My buddy has a 24 ET for me to try too.  I have heard that the ET props act like one size bigger than other props.  ie a 28ET really acts like other 30's.  He claims that the 24ET revs about the same as the 26 Mazco or less.

Any chance you know of a 26 or 28ET for sale up here?

Brad

Brad,

Don't know of any for sale currently.  I don't think the ET acts like a size bigger when compared to a chopper style prop, but when compared to a cleaver it may be so...probably because the slip on a cleaver is higher.  My Euro ran with about 4-5% slip.  My rocket runs at about 10.5%  With the same prop (26" ET) I run 105 at 9000 rpm.  How much set back do you have?  I ran with 5" + 2" built in on the SS and it ran really flat with the ET.

Jamie

Jamie, I have a CMC 5.5".  Boat runs flat. No problem there.  Actually with the cleaver it felt like the back was higher than the front.

Do you remember what height you ran your prop shaft at?  Think I am about an 1" above.

Brad

PS - Your reving too high with that 26ET on your River Rocket.  Think you should sell it to me!

Well PC..you were right about the cleaver seeming to run with the rear end higher than the front...It seems that way due to all the lift..I ran my 32 cleaver last friday (at to low a setting at only 3/4" above) and turned it 7250...It kept wanting to get a little loose and with a passenger on board I pretty much let off...With the motor up another inch or so I think it would have been a lot more stable..If it's 'top end' you want then the big cleavers seem to be the thing...my next move is to eliminate the rev limiter and run the 28 and 29 ETs..I like these wheels and they run with a lower setting and seem to be a lot more stable with a lot more get up and go

Congrats Brad! sounds like your enjoying new rig.

I found my cleaver liked to get loose or walk abit if trimmed too high just need to find its sweet spot.

Could still be int. in your 30 cleaver but want to make sure its the best selection for my setup in comparison to a 30 ET...if anyone else has experience/knowledge for this setup its appreciated.

Long weekend up here so I'm shooting for 102...?

Dreamer, you sit closer to the front of the boat in a Euro and I think that is why you can get away with a chopper or ET on them as they require a little more lift.  The seats are further back in the ProComp and the ProComp in my experience runs with the nose higher in the air.  I think that is why the ProComp likes the cleaver because it lifts the rear forcing the nose down to run flatter.  I tried a chopper on my ProComp and the front of the boat was doing little swirls.  Never ran an ET.

If you cover the freight back and forth, I'll get you the cleaver for the weekend.  If you like it buy it.  If not just send it back.  Coarse if you ding it.............

Brad

Feels good to pass the century mark doesnt it?  Congrats.  First time I did it I thought I was running maybe 95.  Looked at the GPS and saw 100 even.  Now that I am well into the 100's its just not the same thrill.  I guess all "first times" are the best.  ;)

I purchased a 98 euro in May, running a 15X28 cleaver I was netting 93-94 mph @ 7200 -7300, even w/ the pad. Raised the engine to .75 to 1" above and ran 100 mph even at 7500 -

7600 rpm's.  Question: when figuring how high the prop shaft is above the pad, I leveled the trailer, trimmed the motor level using a level off the cavitation plate, then extended the level from the center of the gear case to center sponson and measured up from the bottom of the pad. Is this the best way to do this?  Ordered a 14.5 X 30 cleaver from Mercury, 2-3 weeks ago, will not be here until 8/11. Will this prop want to ride 1 - 1.25 up, from what I have read, everyone seems to run the 30"s higher.

Trimmed out, good feedback.  Guess I'll bump my motor up a bit and give my 14.5 x 30 cleaver another whirl this weekend before selling it.  Curious what a new one is worth?  

Brad

As discussed early on in this thread the 'cleaver' props will want to run higher than the ET or Drag props...I've been told to run from 1 to 1 1/2" above the pad so long as the water pick up still works..you need the water pressure

Best way I found to measure your prop shaft height is to use a level to level your hull and then put a short 6 inch level on the prop shaft! I don't think the cavitation plate gives a good level for the engine.