Sign in to follow this  
hamalin

STV Procomp Drag, Ontario

I just picked up a 2002, STV Procomp Drag, 2.5 1993 Carb, Sportsmaster and would like some advice on a few things.

a)  How high should the motor be set on the transom, presently it is at the second highest hole.  I have a power lift, but I am told that once you have the motor set correctly, you don't need one, true?

B)  What prop do you recommend?

c)  I am looking for a mooring cover from someone who already has the design and just has to make it for me versus bringing the boat to the shop, preferably northern or central Ontario.

d)  GPS speedo's are they the way to go or is there a good mechanical one that works, GPS are expensive.

e)  Any other helpful hints?

Thanks

John H.

I have a mint 14.5 x 30 cleaver for sale.

email if interested bwaylett@mts.net.  I'm in Winnipeg

My ProComp was at least 1" above the pad probably closer to 1-1/2".  I believe your local guys believe that for top end it is the 3 hole bolted right to the transom.

2002 ProComp?  Is that an Ontario made boat?

Brad

I think you can leave the power lift (jackplate) in place..especially if you plan to run different props...The big cleavers will want to be run a little higher than a yama drag or ET cut prop...the 1 1/2" mentioned above might be just right for a cleaver whereas the ETs would run better at 3/4" above

Did you buy it off of Dave MacPherson?  If so that bottom is different...it's a "drag" bottom which is stepped and therefore has a shallower tunnel at the back...not sure what motor height you should be running.

If it is a Dave boat, keep the setback.....maybe even add more (8"), and NEVER EVER EVER RUN A CLEAVER EVER, run a Yamaha style ONLY, or small blade chopper.

And lastly do not run it in rough water

The above mentioned boat does not have a STV bottom as you know. It is a Drag bottom STV, and has a Pro Comp Ski deck. These are real STV molds, just ones that Wally at Triad didn't want.

The Drag bottom has a reputation for spinning out, and set up is key, the seem to like the weight back, and hate lift, the Yamaha porp seems to work well on them.

If you want to know speed then GPS is the way to go.

But when you come right down to it a speedometer isn't really that important.  Knowing that at some point you were doing a maximum is nice to know but whats the diff if you don't know when it happened?

In other words if your going 100 it happened whether or not a speedometer told you it did.

This from someone who spent almost $400 on a dash mounted GPS, not a speedometer but the whole party. :p