AnthonySS

STV DRAG BOTTOM

Once Again I would like to Thank Mr. Roark Summerford for his input on this little article

Summerford Racing technically built about 8 Drag Bottom Boats. The boats were designed for single purpose drag application, straight-line use, in controlled racing watersand it serves as a drag boat very well.

post-2-1060358707.jpg

The Bottom differs from the conventional STV with shallow flat roof Tunnels, Step in sponsons, and wide outer sponson (about twice as wide as conventional STV). It also has the Mod VP race center sponson at the nose

post-2-1060358761.jpg

The key to these Boats is set-up and Props (just like all others).

The P/S C/L (Prop shaft Centerline) actually needs to be set lower on a Drag Hull then on other STVs. It should be set to an  1 1/4" to a 1 1/2" BELOW the bottom. The Props should be large in diameter 14.5" to 15" and Cleaver or ET Style. A CLE gearcase or SM will be good.

Failure to observe some of these key set-up elements can cause a severe right hand turn as the boat has a tendency to walk the gearcase out of the water (blow-out) drop the nose and the steps in the hull, make the boat turn extremely hard right. The boat will not flip but in an open cockpit, un harnessed boat, you will go for a swim.

post-2-1060358856.jpg

The boat will not be very good in ruff water, the wide outer sponsons and shallow roof tunnels make it feel like driving a flat bottom boat in ruff water.

So be very careful on your set-up and work-up to speed with caution...feeling the boat out at various speeds first.

Currently the original STV Drag Bottom mold is Canada along with the PropCompSki Deck.

The above pics are of one that was built here in Canada. THANKS to Hamalin for supplying the photos and encouraging this article.

post-2-1060358936.jpg

Hey Mike

Have you looked on Boattrader.com

There are a lot of STVs listed there (one of which is described as a drag boat)...It's old enough to be a Summerford drag hull but I can't tell if it is

Guest mercace

Hi Guys, My boat is the yellow one in the picture. Just want to add something about the set-up. If you have a drag bottom,when measuring engine hieght be careful. The pad is angled down at the rear. It will give you a false reading.It's better to measure from the step next to it and add the difference. Got this right from Roark. Tell me how to post pictures and I'll get some on the board.I raced yesterday and should have some good ones.......George

GEORGE...

THANKS for the responce as we would love to see your pics...

In the reply or post window...scroll down to the BROWSE button...CLICK and go find you pic on you PC...its that easy

Caution... the file size must be less the 100K for posting...

if you have problems...send the pics to me and I will edit them to fit...and I will post on your behalf and then you can comment.

my email is

anthony.santocono@kawneer.com

THANKS

Montystv, that boat does not have the drag bottom.

There is a reason only 8 were made..........

RT

am i missing something here i don't see the difference in the two??????

Monty STV

in the last 6-7 years of production at STV Roark really only built 2 bottoms, and a few 7-8 Drag bottom boats. The Drag bottom boats were built toward the end of Roarks ownership.

The boat in the above picture clearly has what is called the Mod-vp bottom, and that is a Mod-vp deck, along with the ski, which has a different center pod, these were the 2 most common bottoms.

The Drag bottom is easy to spot as it has steps in the side sponsons and shallow flat top tunnels, very very few of these were built, and less survive.

RT

This bottom mold was not purchased by Triad boats......

MERCACE's Boat...THANKS for the pics George

...looks great!!!

post-2-1062593575.jpg

MontySTV, your dads boat has a mod-vp bottom, not all that different than the ski bottom.........which is faster.

The drag is a totaly different animal, but a lot of people call there lightweigh boats, drag boat which is fair and accurate as they would not make great lake or roundy boats, but the do not have the purpose built bottom.

RT

RT how come they only built 7 or 8 and why did so few survive as you said? Earlier you said there was a reason so few were ever built...lack of market....too light they break up easily?...curious.

Really impressed with the knowledge on STV history some of you guys have.

Thanks.

They are not a great design, that is the reason, some will disagree, but in the wrong hands you will crash, some in good hands did the same.

bottom line is, if you want a drag boat there are better designs, not to say it is not fast, but there are others that are more predictable.

RT

That Yellow STV is a drag bottom.It looks to be Bury Mears old boat.Look down the bottom side of the hull ,it has the little step in the side. hf...  I heard it is dangerous to drive.