Sign in to follow this  
Rocket

Am I too Wet?

From what I've seen, that might be a little too much angle of attack.  How fast are you going right there?  The rear really starts to lift around 95-100mph, thats when it looks real dry, and flatter to the water.

ROCKET...she looks good...what sort of speeds at the end.

I agree with trying to use less trim!!

She runs a strong 92+ in the 1/4 mile.  I would guess I'm doing about 8k Rpms & 80+ here.  I usually trim down at 1/2 track, but I never trim more than this.  i'm running a Tillman worked 22 Yamaha drag prop, good or bad?  Is the ET better?

That is a Sprint bottom, you might want to try a little less trim at the end of the 1/4, but you really are not wet.

Speed, rpm?

RT

How do you know it's a sprint bottom?  Are they good or bad? What's the differance?

ROCKET...thanks for speed..at 92 mph the STV is still accelerating and not quite over the hump where it flys flatter and faster...so your doing good in my opinion. Also I personally think the SPRINT bottome traditionally FLYS more like a V with bow up!!!

If your capable of 95+ try trimming it in and see if it pick up speed without increasing RPM...you'll need a longer shoot to do it in. If it starts to hop, when trimming in, then your in too far..tap out till it stops hopping...this technique works on the NEWeR bottom styles...hopefully similar on the Sprint bottom.

The SPRINT BOTTOM has the traditional V Bottom look down the centre like yours

The NEWER Bottoms have a more SQUARE center pod some with wide inverted V...known as the "SKI" bottom and or smaller invert known as th "MVP  or race or Roundy Bottom"

SPRINT Bottom

post-2-1060884362.jpg

Thanks!  Yup I got the sprint bottom! ???  

OK, Here's the $10,000 question; Which bottom seams to be the fastest?

post-2-1060889810.jpg

Well...the drag bottom would be faster...I'm told it was designed to drag race...only 8 or so made....

Also...Rocket's running in a 12 second bracket there at Marble Falls...While his boat will certainly do 100 plus he can only run 12 seconds flat at best...That means his top speed will only be 85 or 90 since he is set up for the bracket race...It appeared to me that he ran the bracket about as well as he could but maybe his hole shot was a little off as compared to the guys in the other lane...some of those boys hit the green light right on the money then run the bracket almost perfect...A combination that's hard to beat...Just my .02

Hey JJ, I'm working on them lights!  

The IHBA lights are differant (harder to read) than the SDBA lights!  But I was cutting .4's and .6's and I had a couple of .06's!  That's a #### of alot better than Red lighting or cutting 1.0's Which aint that hard to do concidering the count is in 1/2 second clicks!  

You leave on a number and hope like #### your bow is at the same place it was last time (Lazer light is only 10" off the water) So with an outboard, a little wrong trimm'n and your late or early!  Them #### car mota boats are always at the same place in 125'!!!!!

PS. I can turn 11.300's Easy But I need to turn 11 flat to compete in SE, or 10 flat to compete with the ME class.

I want to move up a class or two next year!  We'll see! :D

That still don't answer my question about which bottom is faster?  (only 8 drag bottoms I ain't gunna get one of those I bet)!  I might want to up grade hulls next year!

I thought you did good...It was nice to see one of our boats out there with the car motors..Are you going to race at Chandler? Or just go watch like us old people? I hope race is the answer...One things for sure...there will be a lot of California rigs out there and some of those can put up some numbers...I talked with Ann (the lady that was with me) and she also remembered your breaking out with a 11.98 in one of your heats...I guess to trip the green perfect and run a 12 flat would be almost impossible...Anyway I'm not sure it matters what bottom you run when you're bracket racing...it's all about the lights and hitting the 12 second time...Am I missing something here?

Thanks JJ, I can break out anytime I want.  It is all about the lights and the numbers!  

I want to run wit the big boys.... I want to see if next year I can run 11 flat or even 10 flat!  This 85 mph stuff is for the birds!  If I could gain .3 seconds I could run the S/E class easy.  And 1 more second in a new boat, or with a drag power head I might even be looking at M/E!!!!! Woo Hoo!

I am going to race at Pine Bluff AR. and Bryan Collage station, Gunna be deciding with my sponsers if I'm going to Smokin in the cove or Chandler?  If I go to chandler, I'm race'n!  

But I don't think I can go to both.  I need to work sometime.  But we will see.

JJ, Didn't ya see the Black guys in the STV from Nevada?  I went to go talk to him, but he was always gone someplace else! ???

One of the blown alky guys told me about the Nevada boat but I never ran across it...Where in Bryan / College Station is the race...I'm from Caldwell and my brother lives over there...I would like to go racing with him but was not aware there was a place in the B / CS area

Also..since I'm planning on Chandler would like to see you run there

it's on Lake Bryan!  Sept 13th-14th it's our (SDBA) State finals!  Book a room a the Hilton say your with SDBA and they are $59.00 per night!  Come early friday and get teched!  Then put that thing in the water at 8:00 Saterday morning!

Hey that's Great!  Please come buy and see us!  It's a great place to spectate!  You can bring EZ-ups, I believe coolers (don't hold me to that). But if ya got a 4-wheeler or cart ya might bring it too ( pit's are huge).  I'm going to try and pit with all the Outboard boys. ??? (gunna try).

Technically the STV DRAG Bottom would be the best for dragging...however we know the other bottoms do very well too