JLR

Euro setups

Just got a 2001 Triad Euro a couple of weeks ago and was wondering what everyone is running for setup Ie setback,prop and motor heights. Best i have run so far is 102 in 90 degree heat with a 28 et.

Thanks  Jeff

post-2-1062035754.jpg

Hey Jeff,  good lookin colors.I've got a 96 euro with a 93 2.5. mounted dierctly to the transom. Rev limiter is off. Motor height is around 3/4 of an inch above the pad . So far my best speeds are:

All gps #s

yamaha drag copy 24p 98 one person NEW #s 103 on 9/23/03 at 9000 rpm

yamaha drag copy 26p 106 one person NEW #s 109 9/20/03 at 8800 rpm

yamaha drag copy 26p two people 105

yamaha drag copy 26p 92 three 200+lb guys  one 300lb guy

yamaha drag copy 26p 96 three cute girls ( one bikini top let loose) one good lookin driver

rpms varied between 8000 and 8700

merc cleaver 14 1/2 x 32 105 one person at 7000 rpm. Motor needed to be raised  at least 3/4 of an inch to get any rpms out of it. Jackplate would have been nice. Good luck Kurt

Hmmmm, guess I am going to have to play with the 28 Yamaha drag prop a little more this weekend.

Jeff, maybe you should try your 26 copy out.  Had some other feedback from a guy running a 30 Tillman drag copy and liking it too.

Yeah maybe I'll try the 26 drag and also that 26 mazco and see what happens, Thanks for the info Kurt , what did you run that 28 mazco 4 blade on  and what kinda speeds.

Thanks  Jeff

Hey Jeff, ran the 28 mazco on my euro. It used to be my favorite prop until I started runnin the drag copies. Never really noticed how hard it steered until I ran the drag copies. They steer much easier. Top speeds were right around a 100 or so. Let the 2.5s rev and you will be suprised what a 24p and a 26p prop can do. Kurt

post-2-1062206180.jpg

new user and new to STV's (hope to have a euro shortly). I have seen some pics with motors mounted directly to the transome and some with jackplates that add some setback. Does anyone have any input as to which is better when rigging? does the hull require much adjustment on height while running to get on a plane and also air it out?

I have a 92 steel sleved 2.5 200 carbed fishin motor, 20", with a 2 hole cle that I would like to hang off the back if I can find a euro.

thanks in advance for any input,

fish

Euro's seem t like some setback... usually about 5-5.5 inches should do. I use a manual CMC which works great. As far as height they all fall in the range of even to around 1.5 inches above the pad depending which prop you run. STV's come on plane very easily so that's why most don't use the hydraulic plate.

Also, welcome! Where do you live?

thanks for the reply, info and the welcome to STV Owners.com. I live in St. pete beach Fla. It was love at first sight when I first saw a euro, unfortunately, my checkbook was not feeling the love. Hope to have one in my driveway next sunday if the deal goes through. anyone else have euro's/stv's in the tampabay area?

Couple of us up here running manual 6" Rapid Jack and they seem to run fine. If you are changing from round ear props to cleaver or drag race set up to top end set up, then a jack plate is nice versus bolting it right to the transom. Should carry weight better with a little set back too.

The hydraullic is really nice if are going after top end as you can bump it a lot higher than you'll normally run for day to day use.

You do not need to adjust a Euro's engine height to get on plane. Mine ski's and tubes pretty good at any height. Prop selection will be the difference.

If money is no object, I really don't see there being a dis-advantage to running a hydraullic unit over a manual. Maybe a little extra weight.

ProComp

Wally told me you don't need a hydraulic jackplate on an STV. I didn't listen - insisted on a Bob's hydraulic (6 inch setback). We water ski a lot and I am convinced that I could leave set the height and leave it. In hindsight, I would probably listen to Wally and go with the manual 6 inch Rapid Jack. Everything he told me about set-up has been bang-on!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am picking my euro up this saturday and hope to have it wet by next weekend.

Lance, yes I have tried S&F ... actually, I am the guy who called you a few days ago about a Stv you looked at a few months ago. BTW, saw pics of your euro, WOW!!! I am sure you are anxious to get it on the water. Know what you mean about the copies... guess that is why they call our hockey team the tampa Bay "lightning" LOL

ProComp and Phooker, thanks for the advice, I think I will try to find a 6" rapid jack. What kinfd of props you guys turning? Does a euro prefer one prop? Budget is a little limited and can't really afford a lot of trial and error.

Thanks again everyone for all of the suggestions.

fish

Fish,

I've run a ton of props - yamaha copies, Mazco's, Cleavers, SRX, Hoss Copy, big blade choppers, inline choppers, Real ET's and too be honest they all run pretty good. In my opinion your best bang for your buck would be a Mazco RE3 as you can usually find them used for around $300 or so. If you can afford $500ish, find a used real ET.

What motor and what rpm do you want to turn?

Drag racing I like the Yamaha's

All around I like the ET

Top end Cleaver

Tell us about your Euro

ProComp

ProComp, thanks for the suggestions. I have a early 90's merc 2.5 200 carbed with reeds, bobs tuner and a CLE. 20" shaft. Limited budget and spent pretty much everything on the boat, so the build up of the motor will have to wait a while. Considering I have less HP and will turn less rpms (for a little while at least) than most of you, does that change the prop suggestions? I will probably be turning around 6000rpms until I can build it up.

Lance, I bought the one I called you about.

fish

Fish, I ran a 200 on my ProComp and my favorite prop was a 29 SRX. It would spin around 6400 tops.

Maybe Hydrovector will see this post as he is currently running a 200 on his Euro too.

Pics?

ProComp

I ran a 200 on my euro and I found my 26 yamaha worked the best. Also I had the prop worked by Tilman. Good hole shot and descent top end. (around 90)

Mike surprised you didn't rev that Yamaha too high. I tried a 27 SRX on mine and was around 6800-6900. Fun prop but was worried it was going to take out my motor. (89 200 Merc)

ProComp

Any opinions about a 24 hoss triton with a 2.5 200 on my euro? Only mods are a bobs tuner and reeds, with a CLE. Limited RPMs right now (around 6000). based on some of the input I received so far I am guessing it is a little small, but thought I would ask. Thanks for the help and patients with euro ignorant questions.

fish

Hoss tritons work very well on STV's. I ran a 28 & 30 which were 14 inch diameter. The 28 was 3 mPH faster than my Merc ET28. A 24 at 6000 is only going to be around 70mph give or take a few mph.

Hoss tritons work very well on STV's. I ran a 28 & 30 which were 14 inch diameter. The 28 was 3 mPH faster than my Merc ET28. A 24 at 6000 is only going to be around 70mph give or take a few mph.

guess that would guarantee me the title of "slowest boat on STVOwners.com" LOL biggrin.gif THanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Last weekend I saw a really sweet green and white Euro (not sure whose it was) at the St. Johns get togehter. THe motor had what looked like a Bob's Cavitation plate on the lower unit. Anyone else running these?

Fish, saw the pics, looked nice. I put a post in the general discussion trying to get you to post a few pics of yours. Anyway, what did you end up running for a prop?

The the plate look at all like this? I was advised not to run any kind of plate that stuck out past the cavitation plate like the Bob's does.

ProComp

post-70-1100618625.jpg

Brad, did you mean that you were told NOT to run a plate that stuck back further than the cavitation plate? I was a little confused by your sentence.

I would like to throw out the idea of an ET copy. Probably a 28. Some people will disagree but given the budget, a copy might be worth looking into. It won't give you the last few mph but it will also be alot cheaper.

I think hydrovector is running around 93 with a totally stock 28 chopper and his 200. He'll probably chime in here shortly....