JLR

Euro setups

Thanks Adam. Fixed it. Suppose to be not to run. I believe the reasoning was that the larger plates put a lot more stess on the cavitation plate and transom.

ProComp

Procomp,

sorry, I did not see the post. I will put some up shortly. I tried a 28 labbed cleaver this past weekend. unfortunately, I think i rigged the motor one hole too high. I did not have much time so I bolted it right to the transome. I am going to pick up a jack plate and re-rig, but wanted to get it wet last weekend. I am still looking for just the right prop, but have to get my boat right first. It was still a blast!!!!!!!

as for the plate, here is a pic of the motor. It was a really good looking boat.

post-785-1100638984.jpg

post-785-1100639067.jpg

I would like to throw out the idea of an ET copy. Probably a 28. Some people will disagree but given the budget, a copy might be worth looking into. It won't give you the last few mph but it will also be alot cheaper.

I think hydrovector is running around 93 with a totally stock 28 chopper and his 200. He'll probably chime in here shortly....

THanks BlueElixir, I have heard the ET copy from other sources as well. I also have a 28 chopper but have not tried it yet. I was a little concerned about the amount of bow lift the chopper would give, but after running the cleaver, I think it might be a pretty good prop afterall. planned on running it sunday, but wind kicked up.

Man, I would love to see 93!!! 90's is probably not a big deal to most of you, but I am about 10-15 mph from there right now so it sounds great to me.

thanks again,

fish

I don't think I said it before: Congrats on the new boat Fish! Sweet looking ride.

I think Hydrovector's numbers are around 93. I seem to remember that the stock 28 chopper is his favorite. He won't let anyone touch it!

biggrin.gif

Adam, Fish,

93 was ran with a 30 merc cleaver. but I have switched to a Masco RE-3 I have both a 28 and 30. We have run 92 with me and the wife in the boat using the masco 28 at 6800 rpms, and we did that just prior to chipping a pinion gear in the lower unit. We trashed the gearcase.

I was lucky the Randy Perison found me a Sportmaster at a great buy. We did get to run it once with the new gearcase and it was a bit slower. We were running a stock 200 case with a Hydromotive nose cone. THe new case is longer and I think that we need more power to over come the larger gearcase.

Randy Pierson will be building us new power for in the spring.

It took three years for me to make a power change to the boat. I was pretty happy with the 200 but wew want to hit the 100 mark. So more power is needed.

I sold the 28 chopper. I like the way the RE-3 run. they are worth the try if you get a change to run one. I'm not big on hole shots and I have run a Merc 28 Et and some of Aquaholics cut et but they just don't fit my style of boating.

biggrin.gif

Adam, Fish,

93 was ran with a 30 merc cleaver. but I have switched to a Masco RE-3 I have both a 28 and 30. We have run 92 with me and the wife in the boat using the masco 28 at 6800 rpms, and we did that just prior to chipping a pinion gear in the lower unit. We trashed the gearcase.

I was lucky the Randy Perison found me a Sportmaster at a great buy. We did get to run it once with the new gearcase and it was a bit slower. We were running a stock 200 case with a Hydromotive nose cone. THe new case is longer and I think that we need more power to over come the larger gearcase.

Randy Pierson will be building us new power for in the spring.

It took three years for me to make a power change to the boat. I was pretty happy with the 200 but wew want to hit the 100 mark. So more power is needed.

I sold the 28 chopper. I like the way the RE-3 run. they are  worth the try if you get a change to run one. I'm not big on hole shots and I have run a Merc 28 Et and some of Aquaholics cut et but they just don't fit my style of boating.

Thank you hydrovector, I appreciate all the info. Just curious, what is your setup? DO you have a jack plate and if so, what setback? How high are you in relation to the pad? I have not bee able to get close to 90 yet, but I know there are a lot of variable that I need to tweak to get her to run right. Just hoping to not have to learn them all the hard way LOL THanks in advnace for any suggestions you may have,

fish

Fish,

I used to own hydrovectors boat (mike) and had a 2.4 200 on it before I powered up. Also set up a 200 2.5 pro max for Simison Marine when they sold them. Both euros but the Simison boat was much heavier. Anyway, found that both boats liked 5-6 inches of set back with the limited power. Set the gearcase so when looking under the hull and "line of site"ing down the pad from the front, you can see the center intake holes of the gearcase with it at level trim. That was and always seems to be the "magic" spot. (My 140 run is only 1/4 higher than that) The blue euro (mike hurst's boat) always liked the Mazco RE three blade props. Although I've had some terd REs most have been fast from the get-go. The 28 and 29 REs would run 7000 rpm or so and run in the mid to upper 90's. This means no oil injection and I had the liner pulled, 2 litre heads, 1mm gaskets and a cross drilled intake for mods. I believe that is more than Mike has at present so explains some of the MPH difference. Mike has it running real good for the stone stock motor he had last year.

The Simison set up was different because I had to work around the 6700 limiter of the promax. I ran the same setup, height, setback, CLE case but with a 14 1/2 X 33 Hoss triton. This combo ran 95ish with me in it and punched pretty good for such a big wheel. The Triton prop tends to punch like it's 3 inches smaller, so I tend to like them for overall boating projects. Since it is winter here, if you want to try one of my props I would send you one. The 90mph mark is there and I think you can get it with your current motor. (if the prop gets damaged we'll just bill b-rad <procomp>) You may call me anytime 320-267-0440

On a different note for those interested...

I have run a totally new version of the Hoss Triton on my River Rocket this fall. It has different lift caracteristics and is very fast on top end, faster than my 140 prop. Dave Bostic and I are working on the project and he is making phase 2 (for lack of a better word) right now. I am preparing a big (415+ hp) motor for the RR to take to the Florida speed run in March. Dave got interested after he got wind of the numbers I turned in with his "old" props. How good is the new one? Lets just say that the 3 STV's Wally is building for my customers will all have a new triton X on them. I was personally shocked at how good the proto was. I have a stock 280 with drag electrics on the boat now. The engine will turn 94-9500 but then hits a wall. Speed was limited because I couldn't turn the props I had any faster. (I don't like 32 cleavers and such as they are no fun with the lack of punch)( procomp can tell you how hard this boat punches with a 28 on it and the 280. he needs to try it with 100+ more hp) With the proto triton I ran speeds at 128-130mph in a very short squirt. 3/8 -1/2 mile or so. This combo was stuck a the 120ish mark before so things are looking very good to bring a 145 pass with a little distance and the horsepower to push it 10500 plus.

What does this mean to all the other STV owners out there? What works on this boat, works on every other one I've tried the set up on. For the most part the STV hull responds very similar from hull to hull. I'll keep you guys updated or I'll pass it on to B-Rad and he can share it. We are building him a 2.5 with similar power caracteristics to the motor he ran on my boat for Barefoot Bob's fest. He asked me to take photo's of the build so he can share it with you guys here. It has some neat and unusual things about it so it might be of interest..

Randy

??? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif (if the prop gets damaged we'll just bill b-rad <procomp>)

Ya right! Me with all my millions!

I'm just glad my powerhead comes with one of those fancy new props. I'll let ya know what pitch I want! wink.gif

I don't have a lot to compare it too but it pulled hard enough to make me order one and .............. I think RP knew it would! It pulled way harder than my 245 Carb with a 24 on it. Too bad the trim buttons are upside down or I really would have let her rip! smile.gif

B-RAD

PS: RP - If you need any driving tips for Florida, just give me a call. LOL

Fish - 6" Manual Hydrodynamics Rapid Jack. Waiting patiently for my new GPI powerhead!

post-70-1101102017.jpg

Randy,

thank you so much for the detailed infornmation and the very generous offer to use one of your props. I really would not feel right borrowing one, but I can't tell you how much appreciate the offer. I think I bolted my motor one hole too high based on your description, so there is a good start. I have a friend who has a hoss triton that I am going to try, and will start trying to find a mazco. Of course, more hP is a big answer, but having to take baby steps right now with the holidays coming. smile.gif

Very interested in learning more about your new triton, please keep us posted. Hopefully I will be able to see it run at the high speed shootout, but running in the 140's, I might have to settle for hearing something and watching a blur with a rooster tail flying by.

Procomp, ordering a 6" rapid jack today from Rickracers. THanks.

Thanks again guys, I can just imagine trying to learn all of this the hard way.

fish

I'll write some more info over the holiday weekend. Rake angles, pitch and how it worked, that sort of thing. It is also a "cryo treated" prop so a little on that also.

Randy

Randy I have been following your progress with the RR- not short of amazing- I would like to thank you for your openness towards sharing your info- I specifically would like to hear more about the Triton X and its older version- secondly, what is the availabilty of this prop? smile.gif

thx. paul

Phooker - its a "One Only" limited addition, sorry buddy tongue.gif Besides, you know your wife won't let you spend any more money on your boat. smile.gif

By the way, don't tell mine I have a new one coming. Its a Valentines Day gift for her! LOL

First Gen -

post-70-1101228029.jpg

X-cellent comments RANDY...

THANKS...hope all is well.

I like the comment about the similarity of things that work on STV hulls

RPM - No, I was referred to the powerhead and prop, I wish it was a boat! Thats pretty funny actually. Can you imagine not telling the wife about a new boat. That would be the nail in my coffin!

B-RAD

Oh I see Brad, it would have been a much better story to get a new boat and not tell your wife!!!! "Honest, it is just a new paint job"!!!!! LOL.... SO GPI is doing up your 2.5, are you staying with carbs or switching to EFI?

Oh I see Brad, it would have been a much better story to get a new boat and not tell your wife!!!! "Honest, it is just a new paint job"!!!!! LOL.... SO GPI is doing up your 2.5, are you staying with carbs or switching to EFI?

EFI

I presently have a 28 Hoss Triton on the Euro and I have a Tim Hackney 4 blade 14.5x30 yamaha drag copy that he makes that I presently have on the Skater. I'm going to try the Hackney this weekend at the Toys for Tots run in Florida. I must say that it's not really the same prop that I got from Hackney...Marc Croxton thinned the heck out of it and added a little cup to the leading edge so I don't know that it would be fair comparison to the Hackney out of the box. Anyway..I'll report the differences.

Fish,

I used to own hydrovectors boat (mike) and had a 2.4 200 on it before I powered up. Also set up a 200 2.5 pro max for Simison Marine when they sold them. Both euros but the Simison boat was much heavier. Anyway, found that both boats liked 5-6 inches of set back with the limited power. Set the gearcase so when looking under the hull and "line of site"ing down the pad from the front, you can see the center intake holes of the gearcase with it at level trim. That was and always seems to be the "magic" spot. (My 140 run is only 1/4 higher than that) The blue euro (mike hurst's boat) always liked the Mazco RE three blade props... Randy

Randy (or anyone),can I pick your brain? I added a 6" jackplate over the weekend and lost some speed (and rpms). Could be a lot of things, but figured I would start with the setup and work towards the motor to figure out why I went backwards. Here is a pic of my CLE looking from the bow towards the stern. In the second pic, I added color (green for the intake holes, blue is the bullet point on the cle) and zoomed in. Does this look about right/too high/ too low?

thanks,

fish

post-785-1105549321.jpg

FISH,

What prop are you using?

Tried 28 labbed cleaver, 28 chopper, 28 ron hill yamaha drag copy. Never tried the drag copy before, but the chopper and the clever both were down about 500 rpms, and 4-5 mph. Started at 1/2" below the pad, ran all three trying different trim settings. kept moving up to about 1/2" above pad, still embarassingly slow.

Motor is 2.5 200 carbed fishin motor, bobs tuner, boysen reeds. Cle LU. Compression 121-125 all holes as of yesterday (pretty normal for fishin motor). Best it ran prior to the jack plate was 80 with the chopper @ 6400rpms. I assumed the lack of speed was due to incorrect engine height bolted to transom and hoped to pick up 6-7 mph (or more) with the jack plate and dialing it in with better set-up. Best I got afterwards was 77mph with the cleaver @ 5900rpms.

I don't think the jack is the problem since the general concensus is that the euro's like the 6". Can't afford a 280 (LOL) but would like to at least beat the see doo's around here. Any ideas?