Sign in to follow this  
dragline

Jack plate on pcs

I have a 91 pcs with a 93 mariner 2.5 efi 200.Im turning a merc 30 pitch clever at 6700 rpm.Im 1 3/8 inches above the bottom of the boat (with a 5 inch jack plate).The boat gps at 92 mph.After reading the article about pcs,s can run 3 to 5 mph faster with out the jack plate ,how much speed would I pick up if any running only a 200hp if I removed mine?Also if I remove the jack plate will I have to lower the motor a tad?

Sounds like your boat is running perfect already with only 200hp. I would leave it alone as I am not sure "the remove Jackplate" principle will apply with 200 hp.

Lets here RT's comments with 200 Hp

Your prop efficiecy is a little low at 87% based on your numbers and assuming a 1:87 Gear.

I usually get 87% efficiency with another person sitting in the front seat. Your engine ht is exactly what I use

THANKS for posting!

I am going with Anthony on this one. You I am gonna say do not have enough power to get the boat to reach the point of flattening out. I would also consider trying a 30 chopper II as opposed to the cleaver. Your speed is about right, but I think with a little more set up you could get to 95. I cannot remember where the rev limiter is on that motor, but I would pull the revs back to under 6500, as you arn't making any power. A few mods and you are not far from 100, at that point I would remove the plate.

Hope that helps a bit.

RT

Rob, a chopper II?  You guys always swear by the 14-1/2 x 30 Merc Lab Cleaver.  Curious to the suggestion this time.

Wouldn't the chopper give you too much bow lift at that speed?  Thanks.

BRAD,

I have driven the ChopperII (28P) on a Vking Hull with 200 Merc.  I must say that the handling is much improved over the old choppers and I kind-of liked it!

I have not tried it on the STV, however I am not likely too, as I am still a fan of the 14.5 x 30 Merc Cleaver with the 240HP I currently run.

Remember I have used this 30 cleaver prop with as little HP as 150 on the STV and it netted a respectable 62-6400 RPM with a 2.0:1 Gear.

Had the Chopper II been around then, it may have been a good candidate for a little extra bow lif,t when driving with a passenger, as the 30 Cleaver did struggle a bit, in the bounce zone, for lift with a 150 HP.

So with 200HP, the Chopper II may be good to try if you have the chance.

Thanks for the input ,I will leave the jack plate on . yes I have 1.87 gears,and actuallythe prop Im runningis a lightning et,so it is getting the nose up .After rigging the boatand listening to your advice,the boat has gained 7 mph for minimal money,not to bad!I do appreciate the help!!

HEY DRAGline,

I love to hear those mph gain storys...GLAD to help....Just keep asking!