• Bob’s Alli Mod
    • Bob’s CLE Mod (with standard Skeg)
    • XR Steckbauer Mod
    • Land n’Sea
    • OMC Lightning
    • other

pic50.html

Dear STV/LTV/Charger STV Riders,

What Drive are you using with your STV and what is your opinion of it?

For example:

Gives good bow lift, tail lift?

How is wheel torque?

What mods (like Skeg,  filled in water holes etc) have you got done?

IF you chose OTHER let us know what it is??

As far as I know I have an inline foot and ran a 26" chopper.  I had almost no torque but have little else to say since I haven't had great luck with my engine.   All 3 to be replaced

On My raceboat(which iz a light modified LTV) I run a xr-6 gearcase with 2:1 gears...I run it splitshaft with bottom of the boat with a yamaha prop...with the late model gears and a aftermarket bearing carrier the lil gearcase will handle well over 300HP...I didn't notice any diffrence in bow lift or stern lift, but the stern seemed to be more "locked in place)...with a large gearcase, the stern had a loose feeling, but not with the small one...both my gearcases have bob's nose cones and 15" shafts(which were cut and welded).....I run a CLE on my std LTV with no blow out tendesies or any bad habits, it ran well and I run it 1" above the pad with a yamaha wheel, the good thing about CLE's are thier dam near indestructable...T-REX :p

Moving this up for all the new owners of recent

Bone stock polisjed alum. (Mariner 2.5)...I don't even know what those other things are but allume they are high perf. replacements..Maybe someone could offer a little input re: each type shown

Thanks

GearCASE ID for JJ

Hope your OK after your surgery!!!

Sportmaster (SM) by Mercury

post-2-1039705403.jpg

CLE Bass...notice water inlets just above the torpedo...not a good case if you run in weeded areas or where the water has lots of surface debris

post-2-1039706006.jpg

XR6 Case modified by Steckbauer..torpedo diameter is 4.25" ...I believe)

post-2-1039706150.jpg

Anthony

Looks like a SM..My manuel also indicates this...water pick up under the nose cone..polished alum...If you want to change the vote my original was 'other'

Hmm...not sure I can change the vote...but anyway the SM is the preffered case "hands down"

HEY OMC guys...could you post some pics of your OMC case. Sorry I don't have any...also looking for an OMC lightning case...anyone got a pic???

I can't agree that the sm is a hands down deal. This poll only shows that 44% have them. There is no feed back at all!  This shows that the majority own them but not that they are the preferred case.

How much does a CLE or anything else cost and how much does the Sm cost. Why the cost difference and why is it being bought in such numbers?

Only T-REX says anything and it's not about a SM.

The SM is certainly more expensive. However if you have a CLE it can be converted to an SM with the add of bearing carrier, Propshaft and new reverse gear.

Beleive it or not..A CLE, Housing only, is the same price as the SM case , housing only.

THE CLE works well on the STV too as long as you don't use positive trim!!

Here are pics of a moded CLE.

Pictures are courtesy of our pal Balzy

post-2-1040322599.jpg

SOUNDS Cool George...

Interestinly When you talk to Roark...he still thinks the CLE is the best ...for hos boats

i have a  93  2.5 efi and a cle on my procomp and with a stock 28 chopper on it there is some torque feeding back  through the wheel but not enough for me to be uncomfortable with . so far(knock on wood) i dont have any ill handling or scary effects whatsoever , and i hope its stays that way !  i just got the boat from a forum memeber last fall so i did not get to use it for a full season yet but so far im happy and have no intentions of buying another gearcase unless this one breaks or gets stolen .  ill be trying different props this summer and i hope to find the best all around prop.