Sign in to follow this  
Boatmaster

92 Pro comp set up?

I am currently putting a 1992 Pro Comp together for a customer and just wondering on where to start on my set up. Jackplate, or on the tramsom? How high above the bottom?  I am putting a 95 merc 2.5EFI on it, all stock with a sportmaster lower.  What kind of speeds should he see?  I was hoping for 105-110 mph with a merc three blade 30x14 1/2 cleaver.  Any other ideas on props would be great, Thanks for any help and or insite.

I prefer the jackplate route as adjustment is easier- 4 inches is enough- hydro dynamics makes a nice piece- as for height you would be smart to start off even or below the pad as the fist few runs would be shake down runs to make sure everything is working properly-once all the rigging is checked and your satisfied with the install I would begin to raise the motor in 1/4 inch  increments-the new owners' experience will also factor in, as going to high may result in to much positive trim and no water pressure-I know of two cases of exactly this happening- I would say 3/4 inch approx. is about right- good choice on the prop-110 should be fairly easy-a good goal is 115

paul

Good calls Paul and yes good goods to play with on the boat too.

I would even go as far as starting with 1/2" up.

Technically the boat really does not need the jack but its also a good thing to have to play with heights and also play with more tilting range, if the boat is used alot at the beach or around shallow docks and launching.

but yes 110 to 115 should be an easy go

Thanks for the input, even or 1\2 inch up sound very low to me. Do STVs not run well in the one too two inch range? Wondering because most of the other tunnels I have rigged have all ended up being in that one too two inch area. Most of these boats were all larger with twins. I've found if the motor is to low you have to run more trim to get the speed, and this tends to hang the bow to high.

I'd like to make an observation. The jack plate don't make it easier to set the engine height because your changing it in much smaller increments and thus more.

If mounted on the transom you only have a few choices, if that and thats it.

Make sense? ???

I agree...bolt it striaght on at 3/4" up and forget about it.

Also like to note that a CLE or SM case is the best to use. I find that some of the aftermarket case tend to bury the stern and increase bow lift

Drew (boatmasters)

I took the boat out this last Sunday and I set my jackplate (hydraulic) at 3/4.. I did play with it a little while running about 60, but then set it back to 3/4. The boat seems to like it there so far.. But it was only my second time out in the boat. BTW, I love my STV!  ;)

-NC

NC I am building my motor this week and hope to be on the water soon.  I've been through most of the wiring and replumbed the fuel system, boats is cleaning up well. Just picked up a 28 yamaha drag prop to try. Are you and Kevin coming to the boat show at the end of Jan? I will have an F29 in the both.

BoatMaster,

That's cool you picked up that 28.. it should out pretty well on that boat. Kevin K. really likes the Yahama's. I dunno if we are going to the show this year or not yet.. We had a good time at the last one.. so just might!  :)