Firestarter

Let the STV SRV rebuild begin.

ROB,

THANKS for the call last nite and THANKS for doing the investigation on the SRV for me.

Adam should be happy.

This is cool stuff and I will direct the SRV tech to this article now

TRIKKI...

The GOOD = (when operated accordingly) the STV are safest go fast boats---barre non!

Gotta love all the hi tech stuff used to design these boats....all other fast machines are designed in wind tunnels so why not boats.

RT, that is sure to get some attention when finished....good luck.

Just out of curiosity, what does Mr. Summerford do now? build boats still? I wonder what advances (if possible) could have been made had he stillmbeen behind the STV, not that the Triad guys haven't made improvements......just a thought. I guess he's like the Carol Shelby of boats huh!

That aero/hydrodynamic stuffs gonna make me sound like the man on the boat launch....YEAH BABY! LOL

Carol Shelby...and then some

I knew Roark back when he started the Laser Boat Mfg Co up in Roanoke Texas..Wrote the insurance for the plant for him and his wife Judy..These were and most likely still are class people..He's with Triton Boats now so I hear..In charge of the engineering and improvements dept :) I can tell you this...he knows boats

MIRAGES SUCK!  :p  :p  :p  :p

(after all the Scream & Fly BS lately, I couldn't resist!  LOL)

I bet they weren't designed in a wind tunnel!  Argument won!

Now we'll find out if any Mirage owners frequent the board.  Hehe.

ProComp  :D

Don't put them all in the 'suck' class ...Our own Todd Carter  from over on the San Jac river came in 2nd in 'sport racer class' last year in Jasper running a black Mirage ski racer..Should have come in first but another Texan beat him :)

Here's a pic of young Todd

post-1-1078533198.jpg

JJ, I'm just joking around.  Here's another nice one.

Sorry for messing up your thread RT.  Lets leave this one alone or maybe I'll just go delete it.

ProComp

post-1-1078549287.jpg

Is there anywhere I could find model stvs???

all this talk has motivated me to build a small wind tunnel. I built one out of a couple shoe boxes and a leaf blower when I was 10 so mabe I could advance my studies a little further lol

Masking tape and tufts of yarn on the full scale version.

Use nature as the wind tunnel. This study also places the driver in the wind picture.

Looking good Rob...and stop wasting so much time :D

I put 20 hours in on the weekend, my hands look like swiss cheese!.

Yes, you remove the top cap for reuse later. You can either blend it in with matching gel, or paint the boat like I am doing.

As for the structure, I am changing it, it currently has 2 stringers, I am going to add 2 more and they will run the length of the pad on either side. Once these are installed then the other 2 can come out. You cannot, or at least should not remove everything, or the shape of the boat can change and then you are screwed.

All the wood is being replaced by Okume 1088 plywood ( 200 bucks a sheet ), the resin is Dow Durakane 8084, and the cloth is knitted triaxel.

I never thought this boat was this bad, I knew I was in for a transom....... but shit, the entire boat is rotten. The only dry part  is the klegecel core. I am beginning to think it was sunk........for awhile. It will be awsome when done, better than new, lighter, stronger, faster etc.

RT

I did a simple test with the divinyl core stuff. Sunk a peice in a glass of water for .. a week? it was dry.

Left some floor trimmings outside for a few months, I think they are still out there from a year ago. No change.