Firestarter

Let the STV SRV rebuild begin.

WHEN YOU TALKED TO ROARK, DID HE SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE 22 "IT LOOKED LIKE AN OVERSIZED RIVER ROCKET ON PAPER"- WHEN I WENT TO PICK UP MY LAST EURO (JULY OR AUG OF 96') HE WAS REALLY EXCITED ABOUT HIS NEW PROJECT AND THERE WAS A MOLD STARTED FOR THIS BOAT (IT WAS TO BE SET UP FOR TWIN 2.5s AND HE SAID AT THE TIME THAT HE EXPECTED IT TO SELL FOR ABOUT DOUBLE WHAT THE SMALLER HULLS WERE BRINGING)

I CAN REMEMBER HIM BEING KIND OF HESITANT DUE TO THE OVERALL COST OF THE PACKAGE AFTER BEING RIGGED WITH TWINS. HE WAS'NT SURE THAT THERE WOULD BE A MARKET FOR THEM-I TOLD HIM THAT I WAS DEFINATELY A PLAYER FOR ONE AND I STILL WOULD BE IF WALLY OR SOMEONE WITH THE ABILITY TO BUILD IT CORRECTLY WERE TO PUT IT TOGETHER. ROARK HAD EVERTHING LAID OUT WITH A BIG SET OF 3-D BLUE PRINTS IN HIS OFFICE AND I REMEMBER THAT HE WAS GOING TO COPY THE EXACT INTERIOR DEMINSIONS OF THE EUROSPORT COCKPIT FOR THE 22 HULL. I AM SURE THAT THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN KICK ASS BOATS IF THEY WOULD HAVE MADE PRODUCTION.

Yeah I wish that Roark was still designing boats. He did such a great job on these boats. Wasn't there talk of Wally doing a 21 or 22' boat?

I wonder if Roark's 22' mold is up in Canada?

It's sitting in the shop @ Triad, and my understanding is, when Wally gets some time , rolleyes.gif it may happen.......

Here we go...like Wally ain't got nothin' else to do but build a bigger STV so someone can hang twins on it..what with Randy peggin' the speedo at 140 with just one merc I can't imagine what he'd do with two...well...maybe go faster blink.gif

post-1-1086884669.jpg

THE 19s ARE A BLAST BUT I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE WITH TWIN DRAGS ON IT AND BE ABLE TO RUN ACROSS 2 FOOT CHOP-THE TUNNELS ON THE DRAWINGS THAT I SAW WERE ABOUT TWICE THE DEPTH OF WHAT WE HAVE NOW BUT STILL LOW ENOUGH TO HAVE IT TURN REALLY WELL (UNLIKE A TRUE CAT WITH A DEEP TUNNEL & NO CENTER POD)

I HOPE THAT WALLY BRINGS IT TO LIFE

Well I burnt through 8 24 grit wheels yesterday, and I am 90% done with the grinding. I should be finished next weekend. I have made all the wood parts for the boat, they just need final fitting, before they get glassed in.

Sorry no pictures. I have finally got a few of my other projects done, so I should be able to work full steam ahead on this thing.

The next few weeks should show some serious progress!.

RT

Ok, the better half is away for 3.5 weeks so now I have the time to attack the SRV. This weekend I had a few beers and decided that I was going to take the core out of the boat. I am glad I did. The core was 1/4 inch kledgecel, and some of it was wet. It was not compromised at any spot but none the less wet ( damp really ). I still have a little grinding to do, but it is basically out. Pain in the ass, but not a hard job. This weekend was hot, and I was working outside and I did not wear my tyvek suit BIG BIG mistake. ITCHY

Once all the core is out and the center rib, I am taking it to Hydrostream boats ( Canada, aka John speith ) to have a balsa core vacuum bagged in. The old core being 1/4 in kledgecel was ok, but required ribs to make the boat stiff, it also did not run all the way to the sides. The new core will be 1/2 inch balsa, which is 8 times as stiff as what was there, it will also be covered with 1808 stichmat, which is a lot lighter than the old woven roving that I have removed. AND significantly stronger. Also a plus is this boat is all kevlar, it really really stands out. I thought is was only kevlar in the pad. This is a big bonus. I am also going to remove the rib from the pad and vacuum bag a 3/4 balsa core to the pad. It will also have 4 3/8 stringers, and a 3" transom with 5/8 knees ( 3 of em ).

So I am adding by my calculations 73 lbs to the boat in core and stringers and transom. I took out over 300 lbs of wet crap.

I am trying to decide if I should re-gel the deck of the boat or paint it. The bottom will be gel, it will be flipped over at Johns shop and we will blueprint the bottom, and respray the gel. I am not concerned about the finish on the bottom, just the sides, so gel will be easy, and the orange peal will be good for the surface tension anyhow. We shal see how it progresses.

Here are a few pictures.

post-1-1092062928.jpg

Guest Guest_Michael Dixon

Rob, I missed meeting you at the rumble. I met Blake and talked with him a good bit. Nice guy. I saw someone on here talking about Roarkes 22. I didn't read it all just the last page or so but wasn't it going to be a true tunnel? If you and Blake ever come back to Triad, give me a call. I'll give you a place to stay and we'll cut up. Ask Blake about the 28 I got from you. I was wanting him to try it and I had to leave early sunday. By the way your rigging looked first class. Give me a shout sometime.

I was at blakes last night, he showed me pictures of your boat. Very bad ass with that 12"

When I got to work yesterday, there was an e-mail from Mr. Lamkin saying that you guys had gone to the rumble, I am sorry I missed that!.

I am sure we will be down to Wallys at some point, One of my buddies wants a new Rocket, and I know that they all want to go down there for some river running at the same time.

Rob

Guest road trip

Sounds good. Bring a crowd and we'll have a ball. Blake looked like he had a little more hangover than I did Sunday, but he toughed it out and went back to drag racing. Give me a call when you decide to head this way.

RT, Sweet progress on the boat! Thanks for the update.

Your S&F post mentioned that Roark said that it was the best running boat he made. Did he mean that your SRV was the best running out of the 10 built or did he mean that the SRV in general was the best running Summerford boat?

105mph with a 260 is an awesome speed for a 20' V. Can't wait to see yours run!

He meant the SRV line in general. He said that it was a great race boat, but at the same time the tunnels were kicking ass, and the vee was hard to sell as everyone wanted tunnels. He said that they would have been right there with his tunnels, only better in rough water, slower on top......and it will blow over.

Well there is more progress, the boat is going to be delivered to John Spaiths shop at the end of next week. The boat is being put in a Jig to make 100% sure the pad and strakes and everything inbetween is straight. Then a layer of 1.5 oz mat is being added with Dow Durakane 8084 resin, this a vinalester... and is an etching no waxed resin. This will give a secondary bond ( i will not use epoxy because bonding the core is a lot harder, and it is no stronger than Durakane unless you autoclave it ). After this a layer of 1808, and then ATC core bond putty with a resin coated 1/2 inch baltec balsa core. This will be vacuum bagged in. On top of that is another layer of 1808. Following this the stringers will go in, they are two peices of 3/8 okume plywood, laminated together. They will be bonded in with ATC bonding putty and then covered with 1808. The Transom is going to be three layers of 5/8 okume plywood with 3 5/8 knees. once this is done, we are going to flip the boat and blueprint the bottom, and then respray the entire bottom with gel and dura tec, then over again and the deck is going to get gel and dura tec. Once that is all done, it will be off to Tuff Marine for a paint job. A few simple boot stripes.

This boat is going to be better than new..... and more $ than I had planned. Oh well.

RT

RT...isnt 8085 better then 8084, 1809 better then 1808, dura max better then dura tec

...and I would use ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) over ATC...

...just kidding you of course biggrin.gif

Glad your on top of all this

Hey Rob,

How's things with your boat and John ??

Git your boat out of his shop cause I gotta bring mine up there wink.gif

He'll be replacing the center pad on my Euroski.....pretty much along the lines that your doing to your SRV....

I was reading back, 115 max in a Euroski,,,hmmmmm, I better slow down biggrin.gif

Then again, maybe that's why it broke in the first place....j/k

Trikki

Hey guys, keep that big twin st.v. on the wish list as it is on the way. rumor is it should debut by spring of 05 and it will be an ass ripper for you s.t.v. diehards. later, stv sprint OH. by the way you want that with twins? lol

A little progress, the boat has been sitting at John Spaiths for a while now, and is getting ready for the rebuild.

I have started the motor build up, and have single ring pistons, with chamfered windows, lightweight wrist pins, CNC "chatfield" rods, titanium flywheel, SVS, and a drag cowling. I currently have a 20" bass mid for it, and access to 2 15" mids, and also a 20" offshore. I have yet to decide what to do with the motor. It will either be a 280 block or a ported 260 block ( I have that one ).

BTW..... Seeing as we have the original molds.... that are SHOT, we are making new molds and they will be avaliable soon.

RT