Firestarter

Let the STV SRV rebuild begin.

It should be a killer lake boat, John Spaith will own the mold and be building them.

They will be un real, all vacuum bagged boats ( built just like a tuff 21 ), it will be unbreakable and less than 800 lbs. They are 20'4" and 89" wide. Pretty Cool.

RT

Sounds sweet RT! Does John have any idea how much a bare hull and deck would cost? I probably should call him directly... Do you have his phone number handy?

I heard from a really good source that the Tallon 22 molds are heading to Canada and someone we all know will be building them. I'm glad they went to someone reputable.

And the long awaited return on Project SRV! I spent the weekend up at John Spaeths and got a great start on the boat.

Johns shop is FULL of stuff that is being protected from the weather..... some cool stuff!.

We prepped the boat for a re-gel, and blue printed the bottom.

post-7-1103552310.jpg

If you look close, the transom has a layer of 1 3/4" balsa core, this makes it a VERY strong and LIGHT transom, water cannot migrate sideways through the balsa, so there is no chance of rot, the Okume would rot first. There are two peices of okume 3/4 ply on each side of the balsa...... this transom is overkill.

Ok Rob, 2 weeks since you posted anything..whats the deal, Spring will be here before you know it.

I still think we need to hear more about those previous distractions wink.gif

I have been spending a lot of time at Johns, I had planned to take a bunch of pictures of the progress, but the batterites in my camera were dead.

The boat is again upside down, it has been waxed twice and then sprayed with PVA and finally with some scrap gel.

Remember that the bottom has been blueprinted with no core in the boat, it is perfectly straight. So this scrap gel has been sprayed on and a few layers of 3oz mat applied, next it is getting some core layed up between all the strakes and over the pad. then a few more layers of glass and then some stringers.... 8 of them. This is a complex jig. Once this is done the boat will be flipped back over and can rest on its form fitting jig. Then the new core will be vacuum bagged in and the okume stringers and kness glassed in. This will give a very straight strong boat. Complex, a lot of work, but the results will be worth it!.

Pictures to follow next week.

RT

Here are some pictures of the Jig for the boat, it is pretty serious, but the boat HAS to be perfectly straight!.

I am not sure howmay people make a gel, mat, mat, corebond, 3/8 core, mat, mat, roving, jig, but here it is.

post-7-1114527363.jpg