Firestarter

Let the STV SRV rebuild begin.

Well I want to ride my damn Snowmobile..... it seems like it would be more fun than sanding and buffing.

Sanding and buffing might be more safe. If I remember correctly all your snowmobile stories involve someone being drunk, and the snowmobile ending up in a tree LOL.

Get back to sanding B)

No drunk, but yes a tree. I had to take a detour into the woods to aviod hitting a friend that was laying in the trail. One broken belly pan later, if I ever have to make that decision again.... he is getting it!.

RT

I should mention that the SRV is now in dusty dura tec grey. The entire boat has been sanded with 320, and the 400 grit wet has been started....... then 600, then 800, then 1000, then buff.

post-7-1134402296.jpg

post-7-1134402309.jpg

Well it has been awhile since I posted anything on the SRV, but it is nearing completion. The bottom has been blueprinted, and the entire boat has been sprayed with Gel. This is the boat after it has been wet sanded with 400 grit.

It is almost done now!

RT

from another angle.

post-7-1141053134.jpg

post-7-1141053206.jpg

:) Man ........... The SRV is looking sweet Rob !!

Can't wait to see it when she's all done !!

Bet you can't wait either, Eh !!

Awesome !!

Regards,

Bruce. :)

The end is near!

Afterworking like a donkey, the bottom of the boat is done. Except for one little boo boo, on the edge of a lifting strake( black dot) that needs a fixing. The bottom of the boat is done!

The deck is in the mold and will be done this week..... then I have to join them and put the seat box and knees in the boat and it is ready to rig. Hell it might even see the water this year.

oh, and it does look a little blotchy, that is buffing compound. I did't wipe it off after buffing..... it looks pretty good anyhow.

RT

Just to be clear that is gel.......... after A LOT of sanding, and A LOT of buffing.

These pictures are of the race hatch/seat, with DuraTec high build primer. It is just being blocked out to make sure it is straight.

And this is the new deck in the mold. The deck is white, while it looks blue, that is sprayed on after the white to insure the 1.5 skin is perfectly laid down and there are no air bubbles.

Next is to bag a core into the deck, cover it and put the dash in and some structure, and it is done.

RT

post-7-1141666887.jpg

post-7-1141666908.jpg

post-7-1141666917.jpg

post-7-1141666930.jpg

post-7-1141667619.jpg

post-7-1141667628.jpg

I am frankly shocked at how well it has come out. The boat is SO straight I cannot beleive it. There are NO waves wrinkles or dips anywhere. I guess that is what a few hundred hours with a file board does. I sure hated it at the time, but now I guess you can say I am reaping the rewards!.

The boat now just better run well!...... I have an ungodly amount of $$$$$$ into it!.... I could have bought a new River Rocket! :o

RT

The boat now just better run well!...... I have an ungodly amount of $$$$$$ into it!.... I could have bought a new River Rocket!

You better put more motor on it than one of those tiny 2.5 Merkreez if you want that boat to roll

May I suggest an OMC V6 with 3.8 or so liters????????...........or you could put a Suzy on it and use that as an excuse.......LOL

Looks real nice. I am sure it will run great!

ER

How about twins?, I got two 2.5's......... that makes 5.0.

Then is will roll!

RT

I'm sure you have figgured.....as far as power goes.....some is good, more is better and too much is just barely enough.

Just my humble opinion.

LOL

ER B)

Rt, if you did the gel spray I would like to know more... such as type of spray gun and tip size, and anything else special? I'm thinking of re-gel the Skater sometime. I have painted a few cars over the years but never done gel?

regards

It is Hydropel gel, with 10% clear duratec. This was sprayed with a pressure pot for gel, but I have sprayed a lot of gel with a std. binks paint gun. Tip size doesn't matter, the stuff won't lay down flat anyhow. If you don't add the duratec, it will be really rough, and sticky, so you would either have to add airdry ( a bad idea ) to the gel, or once you have sprayed it, spray a thin coat of PVA over it to make it cure.

This is two coats of gel over 220 grit with a fileboard.

Then it is knocked down with 320 on a DA, dry. 400 wet block, 600wet block 1000 wet block 1500 wet block, 3 stages of compound......... and that is what you see.

RT...... and the pictures don't do it justice!.

:) Man..............you sure have a lot of sweat equity in the SRV Rob !!

I hope for you, that it turns out better than you have been hoping for,

when she's all done !! B)

How's the deck coming along ?

Please post more pics when you can, it looks amazing so far ........ and it's upside down !! :blink:

Regards,

This is the new deck in the mold, the white is ATC foam core 1/4 inch thick, the light green is core bond putty, this is all vacuum bagged. The core is covered with 12 oz stichmat.

This deck is about 140 lbs......and you can walk on it!.

Perfect lamination!.

RT

sorry for the dirty camera.

last one of the deck.

post-7-1142267151.jpg

post-7-1142267202.jpg

post-7-1142267242.jpg

Yeah...your not kidding that is perfect....ver nice rob :D and only 140#...very AWESOME

:ph34r: A real sleeper, eh Rob !!

They won't know what the heck it was ......... that just blew bye them !! :blink:

I Love it !! :lol: