h2ostv

sportmaster gearcase mystery?

I would like to share a recent problem and hopefully receive some advice and feedback. On the weekend, I was riding with Procomp and the Canadian Prairie Dogs and ran into a gearcase problem. Bare with me. My 2004 2.5 Offshore ran fine all day but when I went to the ramp to load I found there was no reverse. Once my Euro was on the the trailer we were all amazed what we saw. The nut and locking washer was completely gone. The carrier was carved up with only minor damage to the prop?? What the heck happened? Of course, I've had it 13 months and only have about 40hrs on the motor. The merc rep apparently has no explanation of how it could have occurred and doesn't want to offer any support or coverage. There is no hi-perf dealers here and probably only 2 280's in the province so I don't have much confidence in their knowledge. But, I appear screwed at the moment. What can I DO?? I'm interested in hearing others' opinions of how this may have occurred. Even better, if this has happened to anyone esle did Mercury step up to the plate. I dished out a lot of cash and have no customer support or reasonable explanation for the damage. The threads also appear damaged on the housing. PLEASE offer feedback or advice if you think it may be helpful for my case.

call a different dealer. many dealers act like it comes

out of their pocket, so they say no warranty. Mercury

doesn't give them their full rate, so they try to do as

little warranty work as possible. this happens with

cars all the time. more often than not you can find

a dealer to work with you because he wants your

future business.

good luck.

Sounds to me like the like somebody forgot to torque the nut and bend over the lock tab during assembly.

I would find a good dealer who has a solid working relationship with the warranty guys and also talk to the service rep's boss in Mississauga or wherever. If you cry at them enough and are courteous but persistent/tenacious I would be surprised if they would not warranty it.

Well according to our local MERCURY REP/EXPERT:

Someone snuck up in the middle of the night and tried to steel the bearing carrier and must of got scared off during the procedure leaving the carrier nut loose.

Draw your own opinion on this guy.

Pure BS. This motor was probably what, around $18K Cdn......40 hours?

$6500 for a new lower unit? What a joke. Last I thought is you buy a new motor to avoid issues like this.

ProComp

with an opinion like that, i would definately call a high performance

dealer. maybe that merc rep doesnt have a clue about any high

performance stuff if none is sold in his area. alot of these guys are

like insurance adjusters, their salary/bonus is based on what the

company has to pay out. if you keep pursuing this through the

right channels you should get some kind of help from mercury.

good luck.

matt

my cousin's engine in his 2002 durango blew up at about 35000

miles. he took it to the dealer and they told him it was a lack of

maintainance issue even though he had oil change receipts. said

the rep also agreed with this. he called another dealer, only twenty

miles away, and told them the story and he had the receipts, and

they told him to bring it in and they would replace the engine for

him. while his durango was there, the rep stopped at the dealer and

the dealer told him of the other dealer saying the rep said no. the

rep said he never even heard of this case before so the first dealer

way lying. since then the first dealer has been caught by dodge to

be telling people no on warranty, charging them, and then turning it

into dogde to get the money. double dipping. probably not the case

in your instance, but you have to check around when one says no.

So what kind of warranty does a new 280 come with?

One year?...lower unit and everything else included?

With only 40 hours on the motor you would think Mercury

would do something

Who was the original Dealer in Ontario...if it was Ted...you should be able get warranty on it?

JJ - No answers for you yet. Looks like he may be on his own. One year warranty which means 5 months up here or about 30 hours in this case.

sad.gif

ProComp

Rich, it was bought out of Ontario actually at either Speedmaster or Xtreme, can't recall. Its sitting at a local Merc dealer here now. Pally wouldn't match the Ontario price. Pally has offered him a good price on a new gearcase if Merc leaves him high and dry but its still real expensive as you know.

Still waiting to here back from Mercury. For some reason insurance didn't think anyone messed with it. Go figure.

Brad

Update - everything was handled in a very professional manor from all parties involved and Mercury has agreed to replace the gearcase under warranty.

Issue at hand was dealt with directly from the factory. Always climb the ladder if you need to as it was the way to proceed with this case.

I personally believe that this was the correct outcome for this situation and am impressed that Mercury stepped up. Check those carrier nuts even if its brand new guys.

ProComp

GLAD to hear it all worked out and YES MERCURY came thru...as they normally do. THEY are the best biggrin.gif