Administrator

1989 STV Charger

Posted for Bob & Tracy

Its a 1989 STV Charger which I bought or should I say worked off from Dave Pally of Pally Performance Products in Saskatoon. The boat originally had a 200 XRI on it and would hit 90MPH, but with to many extreme internall modifications I made the block unreliable and had to throw it away.

Later I came in the possesion of a 1997 225 promax powerhead which I still use to this day. With a 2.5 tuner and no exhaust can, these are the only two things on the motor that are not stock. I built a 10inch set back with a jackplate. The boat has the jackplate controls on the steering wheel, the trim are on a foot board ( for my left foot ), and of coarse a foot throttle. I am running a 30 Lightning ET after trying every prop known to man - thanks to Dave Pally.

The cowl is a original Mariner racing cowl, that I have modified to recieve the rigging hoses from the boat. I've owned the boat for seven years now and love to do something to it every year, big or small. My wife and I run the boat out at Madge Lake in Duck Mountain Provincial Park, Sask. We love this machine so much, that we got married at the boat marina and used the boat as our get away vehicle after the vows. With only two hours of seat time this year I haven't been able to push the WOT limit. Iam currently running 96MPH and have the hopes of someday getting the 100MPH ( possibly dreaming ) with the stock motor. Even at 96 MPH, I still think I have very good unit considering the powerhead and age of the the hull.

I think that should cover it. Thanks again.

P.S went to the lake today to get more pics but the white caps were to high for my taste - hopefully I can get pics of it on the water before the snow flies.

post-3-1096334713.jpg

Thanks for including my boat on your web site guys. I hope everybody gets a look at my ride and please let me know what you think. The other boats on the site are outstanding. I wish there were more of these types of boats out here.

Bob and Tracy

GREAT STORY BOB,

And tTHANKS for sharing it with us on STVOwners biggrin.gif

Welcome. I believe I have seen a pic of your boat in Dave's office.

If ya ever want to tow over to Winnipeg, let me know. Our small group consists of 3 STV Euro's, one Allison Grandsport and a few Streams.

Brad

What's the history behind STV Charger's. are they American or Canadian made?

The boat is Canadian Built. The molds were purchased from Summerford and are the laser LTV molds... Built in Concord, Ontario, Canada. Original Charger company is out of business..... consult screamandfly by doing a search for ".Charger STV" for a more detailed discussion....sweet looking boat!

The Charger STV was build by Charger boats of Concord Ontario. I think the STV was built from late 86 to kinda current. For sure they started in 87 ( I had one ) and were built to the mid late 90's by Charger, they are now build by Exteme, the quality leaves A LOT to be desired. They probably weight 1200+ pounds!........ I am not kidding!.

The deal was Ted at speedmaster was racing STV's out of Summerford and as Roark developed new boat he had no use for the older designs and sent the molds north with Ted to Charger. At least this is my understanding. Some were better than others, and in the later years the quality really suffered. None were super light, but they were a fun boat to drive.

I hope that clears things up a little.

RT