STV_Keith

~100mph chine walk

I had the same problem at 116mph the boat would start rocking from one sponson to the other with a 32p 14.5 cleaver.I countered the rocking with steering and I was able to drive thru it to 126mph.But when it came to slowing down then it started hopping.got pretty scary.I move the engine heigth back down from 1.1/8 back down to 7/8 above and fixed the problem

Matt, did you know Mazco changed the blade shape recently, but I don't know how many years it was. The older RE3 had a shape somewhat close to the Hoss Triton. Let's see a pictire of your RE3?

larry,

this is a serious request. it will require the help

of the old lady. i cant really say i know how to

work the digital camera and then download the

pics to the computer. ill see what i can do.

later,

matt

Just an update for those that are interested...finally put the STV back in the water a few weeks ago. Still had the stock 260 w/A49 chip in it and it would go 98.9 with the 27 on the limiter. EGT's were now being recorded with my RacePak data acquisition and they were WAY hot. No way to adjust really, so I tried an 1/8 turn on the fuel pot. Then the 27 threw a blade. DOH! My favorite prop!

IPB Image

Put the 29 on and headed for the trailer, tail basically between my legs.

So I go back out yesterday. Now have one dash pyro hooked back up and EGT's are still hot. Adjusted the fuel pot a bunch (see other thread) and got it to run 104 on the limiter with the 29.

Swapped in the A48 chip I got from Marles and it went 109! Woo Hoo, best it's ever gone! 8060rpm on the RacePak, but the Autometer showed 8300. I have to lean towards the RacePak for accuracy though, so that puts me at about 7% slip...in the ballpark for sure.

Anyone have the dyno sheet of the HP/TQ on a stock 260? I'm curious as to the power graph. Perhaps I'm overrevving this one and need a bigger prop to go faster?

KEITH....sorry on the prop but good news on the 109...sounds great :)

Well, for the first time since I've owned my PCS, it has finally broke the triple digit speed barrier. With a custom 14.75" x 26 ET lookalike, turned my soft 2.5 to 8700 for 102mph on GPS this past weekend.

One thing I felt though, just about 97-98mph, just after it kicks the tail, the boat starts doing what I can only call chine walking. It bounces from sponson to sponson, left to right and gets progressively worse as speed increases. Trimming down makes it stick the nose and skip along, while I didn't really try trimming up at that speed.

Talked to another guy (speed alley racer) who has a 2003 RR w/drag and he says his does the same thing, but that he blasts through it (got more power than I do for sure).

We are both running sportmasters. Talked to another guy at the lake with a PCS that runs in the 105-106 range, who runs a CLE, and he's never had it happen. Is this something in the setup or inherent to the Sportmaster?

Any ways around/through it?

I was A ltv stv Dealer for many year's Ltv's no problem, Stv needed 50 lb's passanger side to get pass porpising,Trim way up to 90 100, pull nose down slowley till you get best speed, when Roarke designed the stv the onley one who would work with him was masco they worked the best with RE Stock RR. would run 110 113 mph, stock 260 Merc lab 14/30 choper 2 in boat if you find one buy it, PS> 68 7000 rpm, Lloyd's Marine, Lloyd Burns

Lloyd,

Thanks for your comments and insight into the STV...and welcome to STVowners...we will look forward to more insightful comments from you :)