OspreyProduction

New Member / New Euro

I've been waiting to join until I could at least be official, but I just bought my first STV.

1995 Euro w/Ski bottom. 2.5 245 Carb motor with a slightly hot set of heads. (34cc)

Adding a Hydraulic steering system this weekend and the "Saftey Yoke" that Glen Reynolds Marine makes. Other than that, I don't have too much I can do to it.

Finally adding some pics:[attachmentid=1447][attachmentid=1448][attachmentid=1448]

post-805-1102461304.jpg

WELCOME abored LEE,

Thanks for joining us at STVowneres. Lets us know if we can help out in any way.

YEAH...let's see some pics.

CONGRATS

I'll get some pics this weekend on the water.

The Safety Yoke is a part designed for additional support in the steering arm of the motor. I figured that I'de put it on with the new Hydraulic steering system. It actually mounts on the midsection plate on left and right. The "steering arm" on a merc is the weakest link in the whole deal and some people have experienced them breaking with a total loss of steering.

You can look at them at:

http://www.reynoldsracingmarine.com/rrstoref2.htm

Go to HP Safety Products and then scroll down the page to see the Yoke.

With the Yoke in place, the odds are reduced that there will ever be any "break" and if there was, the yoke would be a back-up.

I put together an old boat with an old motor this year and I put one on too. Its cheap insurance. This one mounts to the upper power head studs

Hey Lee, WELCOME TO STVOWNERS.COM!!!!!!! Glad to hear you decided to get the euro. Love to see more pics when you get a chance and thanks for the link, I am writing a revised list to Santa as we speak. LOL

Fish

I think there is a post on bow lights. The new ones put a socket on the upper dash I believe with a removable light. Mine had a removable one in the nose that I replaced with a stationary unit. Others have put them in the side sponsons.

Probably not a bad idea.

ProComp

Great looking boat. The Euro is the best "dual" purpose boat out there.

Question though, I don't get all the latest concern for these additional "steering arms". If the boat is set up properly there is no torque on the wheel. I doubt the tiller arm will break before the bolt that goes to the Hydralic steering bracket. My point being, if there is all this torque which in turn would break some steering part, why not fix the problem rather than band-aid it . Don't take this as me picking on anybody, just look at it from a different view. There is not an STV I've ever set up that you can't drive with 2 fingers. If you need more then it's not set up right, your gearcase would be crabbing and you'd be leaving performance on the table.

It bothers me when different boards get guys to bite into the latest craze/danger/new fix and don't give the whole story. The steering brackets do NOTHING when the 3/8" bolt breaks. But why induce the problem in the first place.

I didn't want to take anything away from the new boat pictured here. I think it is a great ride, looks really nice and clean. But I figured I'd get a rise out of a few people, besides, the board here has been dormant lately. blink.gif

Randy

Randy, I agree 100%. The first summer I had mine... I had to deal with the excessive steering torque issue. The first 3 props were an DAH-SRX-27, Mazco RE3-29 & RE3-27 all of which produced excessive torque to the point I broke the gears on the orignal steering helm unit. Not sure how much of this was me learning the STV but I did cure the issue by switching to Mercury ET28, the Mercury Lab cleavers. I was lucky enough to have a friend with a shop full of props to try. The next year I then added hydraulic steering for added comfort.

user posted imageuser posted image

RANDY,

Thanks so much for that reply....

I have been trying to tell guys the same thing....

"A properly setup STV can be driven with 2 Fingers" So yes if it can't be done then there is setup work to be done and yes I point to props and gearcases.

And yes the bolt is the issue and my personal favorite setup is dual opposed where you get two bolts attaching to the Yoke/tiller arm.

THANKS

post-6-1105453518.jpg

Question - wouldn't a SEA STAR Hydraullic system potentially hide a bad or less then optimum set up? If so, you would have this un-necessary stress on that bolt on not realise it.

B-RAD