ProComp

Sportmaster Mod

Couple of Pictures of the sportmaster case that Randy from GPI and Titus have been working on. I'll let Randy go into the details.

post-70-1105546709.jpg

RP - still going to run a swept skeg on these? How many water inlet holes on the new cone?

Nice that there is no external plumbing!

post-70-1105547109.jpg

B-rad,

In late answer to your question. The skeg is ground from the stock unit. It's not as exaggerated as the photo you have of the "rounded" sporty. It is much more flowing. Wing profile though. 2 intakes located on the port side and of a very specific shape. In testing on the River Rocket I found (this is when I had the 280 on it) that I was hitting a wall with the top end. The only way to get it to run was to jack it to the moon. Then it had the usual "I suck at low speed" trade off. After bending the propshaft at Barefoot Bob's event, I replaced the case with the proto gearcase that we had been working on. Thing picked up 8 mph and handled like it did when I had the big engine on. ( I swapped gearcases at the same time as the powerhead.) That little 280 would run darn near 130 where it was hard to break 120 before. The Titus sportmaster mod is something I made him do for me. He didn't want to, but I wanted a strong gearcase that ran like the mudded up proto we made. The result is a gearcase that is a work of art. The nose shape gives it handling better than any case I know of. I makes the boat less prop "dependant", meaning that all those props that wouldn't carry the boat before would most likely work pretty good.

B-Rads Euro will sport one this summer...with some new found power and propellers (wonder what rock they were hiding under?) I expect him to be running at the front of the pack this year. Too bad it 20 below outside..............

Randy

RP - I'm glad you said you'd take my first born in exchange for wiping my GPI tab clean. When would you like me to drop off Brendan? biggrin.gif

Guess I'll drop my gearcase off in a couple weeks and start looking for a second job. Does the GPI shop floor need sweeping? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

B-RAD

RP - I'm glad you said you'd take my first born in exchange for wiping my GPI tab clean.  When would you like me to drop off Brendan?  biggrin.gif

Guess I'll drop my gearcase off in a couple weeks and start looking for a second job.  Does the GPI shop floor need sweeping?  smile.gif  smile.gif  smile.gif

B-RAD

The JLR Floor needs sweeping if your interested. LOL biggrin.gif

is there another way to work off the tabs? My ex took the broom when I dumped her... said she needed it to get to and from work LOL

BTW, great looking case!!!

NICE...I like the GPI Etching

You can't tell from the pictures but I had Titus put the cone on a little crooked on the black one. Cost me a couple bucks, but it was worth it! biggrin.gif

(thats Iverson's case! LOL)

Seriously, the pictures don't do them justice. The paint seems thick like a powder coat.

B-RAD

You can't tell from the pictures but I had Titus put the cone on a little crooked on the black one.  Cost me a couple bucks, but it was worth it!  biggrin.gif

(thats Iverson's case!  LOL)

Seriously, the pictures don't do them justice.  The paint seems thick like a powder coat.

B-RAD

VERY niiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! I am sure they run as goods as they look too.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Geez, you Minnesotan's stick together. I knew John had lots of $$$ but to hire you as his body guard? Thats just over the top even for him!

Wait till I see him...........

OOOH B-Rad......your gonna get it one of these days!!! Every time I turn my back and dig up a post, your batting your gums....you son of a gun!! I can always bolt on a new gearcase, but that Labatts top I dropped down the block of your powerhead before Randy put it together, ya...it's gonna leave a mark biggrin.gif

Randy, any idea of how much $$ it would take to convert a sporty to a titus coned? \thanks,

fish

ps: you can email me at makulaf@mindspring.com if you would prefer.