Firestarter

WHo asked if STV's blow over..........

Anthony,

After talking with Mike D. yesturday, it seems poor Hank was running a prop that was specificly made to have tons of bow lift. It had a modification to the trailing edge and until that day was untested at speed. The "balance" he was used to, was now totally changed and I would guess contributed to the adverse ride attitude. While he was trying to get a handle on it, it is obvious it got away from him. Such was the difference, a simple weight change most likely would not be totally enough in this case. The previous runs were discribed as "hairy" and an indicator that all was not well.

I compare it to having Sears bias ply tires on the Ferrari F40. They may work but not very well. It upsets the "balance" of the car.

Randy

Yep...been there...adding something new to the equation without proper testing almost always nets in negative results...and yes what STV at those speeds needs bow lift?

Lets hook up on Micheal's new post...thanks guys

Anthony, there is nothing "light" about the motor on the boat that went over. The motor had a 15" mid with the big trim ram which would actually be heavier than a 20" sport or bass mid. The speedmaster lower would save some weight over sportmaster/CLE/Xr6 lowers but I am not sure how much. I think what Randy said makes it all clear now. If Dixon told him the guy was running a new prop and the boat was not flying right and he just kept trying then the results make sense. I am new to this idea of balance and always thought like you did about the STV, which is the boat pretty much tells you where to put everything. This summer I am going to try different spots for my battery and trim and fuel pumps and try to get the "balance" of the boat right. It is one of the many things you can't just copy of someone else's setup because every boat is different and every driver is different, some fat, some skinny.

PHIL,

I think you may have misunderstood my interpretation of fairly light motor

Here is my thinking. a fairly heavy V6 Mercury is around 400# a Fairly light Mercury is around 335# a very light would be like the Champ and SST motors , around 275#. Considering a new 2.5 EFI drag is around 400 with the alien cowl and SM, I think this motor with the older cowl and the SSM should be around the 335 to 350# rangethats my thinking and I could be wrong? Are you thinking it weighs 400#?

Also dont get me wrong on the balance, I really am talking basics and yes every STV is very different because we all come in different shapes and sizes and our heads even have some unique effects on the aerodynamics of the hull. My head, for example without a helmet provides more bow lift then most:)

I would actually add weight to the nose and to port to assist with the balance since my hull was side steer, and it would help set the boat and flatten it out faster in drags and Roundy turns,

Weights:

stock 15 inch mid assembly with long ram - 125 pounds

Short ram weighs 10 pounds less

Lightened clamp brackets and steering yolk weigh with short trim ram and 15 inch mid weigh - 104 pounds +/-

Stock Drag/S3000 powerhead with studs - 186 pounds

Most V6 gear cases weigh right around 45 pounds - depending on shaft length, nosecone, etc.

Jack plate - Rapid jack - 5.5-6 inch set back - 15 pounds - 20 pounds with screw up/down

12 inch mid section assembly with ram - ALL TYPES - weigh right at 66 pounds

adapter plate for V6 gearcase on 12 inch mid - 5 pounds

I never discussed the prop issue with halffast or Hank, but the prop was a three blade design that some of the F1 boys call a wingnut prop. Its designed with more bow lift than normal and when on the right boat is faster. I tested two of them but they were always changing and acted completely different in calm water vs current. Like a 32 cleaver they will sneak the bow up a little at the time. I never felt comfortable running them although one of them was faster than the prop I now run. I didn't get a look at Dennis' prop but from the perfect attitude it ran I would doubt it to be the wingnut design. Thanks, Dixon

Dixon -

Do you know the weight of a SSM #4?

Which gears do you run?

Is there a source for a #4 prop with more diameter than the one you ran at 143.8 mph?

Are you going to be on Clarks Hill for the gathering next month? I am bringing my STV and a few props. I have something I want you to try.

Dixon -

Do you know the weight of a SSM #4?

Which gears do you run?

Is there a source for a #4 prop with more diameter than the one you ran at 143.8 mph?

Are you going to be on Clarks Hill for the gathering next month? I am bringing my STV and a few props. I have something I want you to try.

I was just going to post and ask you the same thing. Yeah I'm going. Just feeling the 4 weighs about half what my xr-6 does(Maybe 23#s guessing) I run 15:17 gears and I finally talked someone into building me a prop. I should have it by the end of april. Hopefully it'll get rid of my slip and put me alittle closer to my hp peak. It'' be a 12'' to start with. I want to try the last thing you gave me again under test conditions. Thanks, Dixon

Dixon -

I will bring a few more bottles of the Redline alcohol oil. I am not running the nitrous system on the STV, or nitro on the DR-20, so i have way more than I need.

Let me know what you find out testing that stuff. The results are always surprising.

Dixon -

I will bring a few more bottles of the Redline alcohol oil. I am not running the nitrous system on the STV, or nitro on the DR-20, so i have way more than I need.

Let me know what you find out testing that stuff. The results are always surprising.

I look forward to seeing you there. Hopefully we won't have any tragedies and you have to go into rescue mode. That guy got extremely lucky. See ya there, Dixon

Well guys I stand corrected from prior staements that Hanks boat was NOT over trimmed.After watching the videos that Lee posted on scream and fly its obvious to me after watching video number three that the boat was over trimmed and it appered to be trimming up fast rite before and as the nose starts to lift.You can stop the video and move it back or forward frame by frame by holding your curser on the play bar as it moves.If you stop or paus the video and move it slowly you can see a lot of posative trim at the motor.What do you guys think?

Does anyone have a MPEG version of this so it can be played on Windows Media Player?

I can't download the player here at work

Rob,

I think he was over trimmed, I just think Hank really didn't know where or how high he was. That was the point I was trying to make to everybody. I felt that with everthing going on and the different prop and all he was overtrimmed and it didn't register to him at the time. It happens...We are all kind of right, we just look at it from different view points. Poor Hank is most likely more embarassed than anything right now as I would imagine HE has replayed this in his head more than we have. I've been there and know first hand how he feels. It sucks...and it really sucks when everybody sees (saw) it.

Randy

I'm with Randy, I don't think he knew how high he was. The one angle there you can see that the boat got away from him twice and be brought it back..... that should have been an indicator. That boat runs LOOSE!

He sure skipped far, damn he was luckey!

RT

I agree with watching this video over and over I believe Hank was a little high on the trim as the bow was a little "Flighty"

STV THE BEST MOD VP HULL EVEEEER!

the MOD VP Racing Category should be still at large!
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYA8eAt-6Oo

here's a small trailer of what is the MOD VP in Mexico

some of the pilots making this possible and thanks to the "Federacion Mexicana de Motonauticas" to make the National Chapionships possible

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dUnKGwEVEo

That looks like fun racing in that ruff-stuff...love-it...thanks for sharing ;)

just wondering if Hank Hogan & Michae Dixon are still into the STV go fast thing?,been a while since the masters of STV set up have been on here except for Dennis,who always gives great advice :)

We really enjoyed the Mod-Vp races, wish they were back! One of the most exciting and competitive races we ever saw was the factory shoot-out, in St.Louis. Watching Chris Bush and Al Stoker battle it out was amazing, and of course the rest of the drivers were gunning for the top prize! All of the top boat builders were there and represented well! Let's revive Mod-Vp!!! Bob.

just wondering if Hank Hogan & Michae Dixon are still into the STV go fast thing?,been a while since the masters of STV set up have been on here except for Dennis,who always gives great advice :)

I know personally dixon doesnt own one anymore since his blowover.