Administrator

King of the lake!

What will be the fastest top STV speed this year?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the fastest top STV speed this year?

• 143 to 145mph
    • 145.1 to 146mph
    • 146.1 to 147mph
    • 147.1 to 148mph
    • 148.1 to 149mph
    • 149.1 tp 150mph
    • 150 and up

Looks like it's going to be an interesting summer this season. Who's going to be "King of the Lake"? Wonder if Mr. Summerford ever imagined his STV's running well over 100mph?

I have to agree with ya. Its gonna get interesting. As far as 150+ I think its gonna be real tough to do. Kurt

150 will go down this year, I know how fast Mike is....... he isn't far away and a prop change will put him there.

RT

Might have to happen somewhere other than the Ohio River. I couldn't have done it with last years conditions. We'll find some descent water at one of these get togethers. What kinda water is at the STV bash? Just curious.

biggrin.gif Even though I would like to see RP get 150 I think it's going to be a 148mph year. IMO

150 will not be that hard to do. I know how close I am already. It will just take the right conditions, enough horsepower, and a little time to set it up. If I do this it will be with official timing equipment and not a GPS that we bought from the hiking store. (I didn't mean for that to sound sarcastic, just can't think of a different way to say it) What I mean is if we're going to go thru the trouble it might as well be "official". When the time is set up, those of us who want to do this will be invited to participate.

Randy

I have an idea (I know...thinking is not my strong point):

What about an official speed run with safety crews and ambulance. I think the KDBA has an old set of timing equipment and speed traps that might be able to be rented. Plus at the right location a radar gun can be used.

If this could be included on Friday at Jasper, TN prior to the ODBA World Championship race, the safety crew and ambulance will already be in place without the additional cost. A lot of spectators will be there to watch - and possibly TV coverage as well this year.

You might even get a few more entries this way.

What about 2 classes. 1 anything goes. 2 pump gas only.

Just an idea...

What distance from the speed traps would be a good starting point? If a set distance is used, it would set the standard for future speed runs. 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, kilometer (.62 miles for the metric challenged - like me), 1 mile.....

What safety gear should be required?

Floatation? On board air?

The guys that want to run should determine how this should be set up.

Wayne is there a place in Jasper that has long enough safe water to do that? Ive been on the river run the last two years and I didnt see any safe place to go that fast. Is there a place for speeds like that? Kurt

It would depend on what distance these guys want to run.

It doesn't have to be at Jasper. Jasper would just be convenient for a large group of spectators. And give a lot of people some time to test and get ready. The rescue crew available is another plus. I might even work on something if I knew the PROFESSIONAL safety and rescue was in place.

I have already seen and heard a lot of people saying that the speeds posted in FL were BS. Mostly by offshore boat owners - idiots mostly, when it comes to our stuff.

With a set standard for the runs, official speed traps, and a large group of spectators, it would be hard for anyone to call BS - not that I care what the "gold chain crowd" thinks.

Again...just an idea.

I think the idea is great. Not much for room there though. Out on the bigger lake( don't know if that was a lake or reservoir?) there was more room but no place for people. (the area that guys went to test to the right exitting the park and over the bridge) I think there is room if you start down by the milling area and run past the start ramp, but that's kind of close quarters. 1/2 mile track (or run) with some ample shut down area. I like your thinking Wayne.

How about this if there was time on Friday. (maybe a couple of hours) Run the pure lake boats (like we do here and I talked to you about) in the 1/4 drag track. I'd group them on a pre-registed basis only and I bet I'd have 30-40 boats. No "pros" (guys like me or you, or anybody that's in the bizz) just pure fun for all the guys that want to try drag racing but never fit anywhere. As an exibition only, no prize money or points. What do you guys think?? I know we can make it fair as we've done it for the last 2 years here. I would love to see the reaction of some guys after they have experienced what some have only dreamed of.

Randy

RT,

The room between the ramp and that little island is pretty narrow. Not saying I'd have a problem but,,,,,if someone did drift a little and screwed up, I wouldn't want to spoil the whole Jasper deal. I'm looking at the BIG picture here, not me and what I want to do. When drag racing, generally the gearcases are deeper and the chances are much less of something happening not to plan. Hence the "private" timed runs I'm looking at doing. The lake boat dragging we do is usually sub-100mph and the boats are grouped by "like" performance. Pretty safe and lots of fun. I want to get the "Clydes"(venom/280) of the world and guys with Euros and 4 seat river rockets, allison gran sports etc. out there having the experience without having to change their boats and mortgage the house.

Randy

Hey! no one has responded to give me crap or say if they think this lake boat racing is a good deal!! I usually get beat up by now. laugh.gif

I had to pinch myself to make sure time didn't stop.

Randy

I like the idea of a lake boat class. I have wanted to put together a set of rules for a pump gas lake boat class for several years.

I don't know what you run up in MN but I think a 1400 pound minimum weight with boats that were originally set up for at least 3 seats would be a great idea. Perhaps 1600 pounds would be better.

Sounds like you are writing the rule book for drag racing odba again LOL.What happend to the top speed thing?Just kidding guy's.Its easy to get carried away.Your gonna have drag races at the drag races tongue.gif

Sounds good, the sport boat class rules, from ODBA, modifyed a little could work dry.gif maybe. Now, what about the speed deal? In my opnion (which aint worth much, except in my own mind) the 1/2 mile length would work good, the 1/4 is already taken care of and the extra length gives some run room rolleyes.gif can be setup most anywere and with that length it could be easier to watch the water (keep the errant waves in check) a mile could make it a little tough, and then you have the shut down area and placement of safety crews, a mile is long area to watch. Again just my opnion and is still worth the same as stated above biggrin.gif

Naaaaaaaa Randy, no ripping, It is a great idea.

As far as the Jasper run at the Gun, I think there is enough room. They run two boats wide past the ramp, so to run one at 130+ should be ok. Hell guys like Carver were going almost 140 there with no issue.

I know we already have a boat from here committed!. For both run at the gun and some informal "lake boat" racing.

RT

I think the "average joe drags" is a great idea and would get a lot of attention. What if you did the wide open run on the river in downtown Chattanooga? There is seawalls so that spectators could watch, and its decently wide there.

The lake boats we race up here are not weighed. Most guys don't have slings etc. It is very easy to spot a ringer BEFORE he gets to the water. If I'm not sure I run him once and see how he performs. Keep in mind that these are real world lake boats and not boats like RT's barney boat. (if you want to run that one you can run me! smile.gif ) Everyone sends in a pre-entry with a total discription of equipment including props, drag plates, etc. From there it's pretty easy to pair them into groups. If I have a boat that is leaps and bounds faster than the core group, he is penalized....by me. Sometimes I put a pin in the center section clamp braket so he can't trim in all the way and hence his hole shot is killed. Other times I put some shot in the rear or make him race one of his big lake props. The point is close racing and there-for fun. I've always said if you get beat by 3 feet you'll come back, but 3 boat lengths you'll never do it again. The weight rule really doesn't fly in this type of racing as there is way too much variance in boat designs. If you consider the equipment first, it doesn't take rocket science to group them where they belong. Everybody knows they will be penalised if they are too fast for the group. We are very up front about it.

As you can see I am very much sold on this. It really works and if we get big fields and steady competition then we'll consider rules. Now is about giving the real core lake boaters a place to taste the thrill of competition. I do everything I can to make it as close as possible. We had so many dead heats last year it was pretty unbelieveable. The Judges and the finish camera verified it and the crowd/racers loved it. You really had no idea who would win. I taked with John Tiger about this last night. He agreed that we need a place to run these guys and rules don't cover them. Too many times a guy gets turned away because of his equipment doen't fit the rules or if he needs to weigh a certain number of pounds he is rendered not competitive because his boat is not the latest and greatest. If guys want to run a race boat with seats (sorry Rt but the barney boat is one, as is mine. we really don't have that as of yet. If we got 5 or 6 though it could work though. ) Does any of this make sense to you guys?

Feed back..........................

Randy

Makes perfect sense, I would personally rather watch this type of racing than the other classes ( pro-fuel, unlimited, superstock, etc) because its real world boats that are all different. Don't get me wrong I love watching dragboat racing, but all the XR 2001's and Dr-20's get to look the same.