Administrator

King of the lake!

What will be the fastest top STV speed this year?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the fastest top STV speed this year?

• 143 to 145mph
    • 145.1 to 146mph
    • 146.1 to 147mph
    • 147.1 to 148mph
    • 148.1 to 149mph
    • 149.1 tp 150mph
    • 150 and up

The lake boat racing we do up here are not weighed. Most guys don't have slings etc. It is very easy to spot a ringer BEFORE he gets to the water. If I'm not sure I run him once and see how he performs. Keep in mind that these are real world lake boats and not boats like RT's barney boat. (if you want to run that one you can run me! smile.gif ) Everyone sends in a pre-entry with a total discription of equipment including props, drag plates, etc. From there it's pretty easy to pair them into groups. If I have a boat that is leaps and bounds faster than the core group, he is penalized....by me. Sometimes I put a pin in the center section clamp braket so he can't trim in all the way and hence his hole shot is killed. Other times I put some shot in the rear or make him race one of his big lake props. The point is close racing and there-for fun. I've always said if you get beat by 3 feet you'll come back, but 3 boat lengths you'll never do it again. The weight rule really doesn't fly in this type of racing as there is way too much variance in boat designs. If you consider the equipment first, it doesn't take rocket science to group them where they belong. Everybody knows they will be penalised if they are too fast for the group. We are very up front about it.

As you can see I am very much sold on this. It really works and if we get big fields and steady competition then we'll consider rules. Now is about giving the real core lake boaters a place to taste the thrill of competition. I do everything I can to make it as close as possible. We had so many dead heats last year it was pretty unbelieveable. The Judges and the finish camera verified it and the crowd/racers loved it. You really had no idea who would win. I taked with John Tiger about this last night. He agreed that we need a place to run these guys and rules don't cover them. Too many times a guy gets turned away because of his equipment doen't fit the rules or if he needs to weigh a certain number of pounds  he is rendered not competitive because his boat is not the latest and greatest. If guys want to run a race boat with seats (sorry Rt but the barney boat is one, as is mine. we really don't have that as of yet. If we got 5 or 6 though it could work though. )  Does any of this make sense to you guys?

Feed back..........................

Randy

Count me in for the raceboat with seats. I want to play too

It does work in Minnesota and is a lot of fun. As Randy said, some of the faster single seater boats with big power run big props like a 30 for the drags and it ends up surprisingly close, is fun, and keeps people like me coming back.

In spite of all the smack talk you read around here, it is all in fun and not about bragging rights. Its about close racing and fun in the sun.

Don't get me wrong, I still have nightmares from last year:

- Balzy got me by 5ft

- Got whacked by an open bow Voyager..............twice

- Got double gunned by Iverson's Stock Motor sad.gif

Man, can ya have a worse rookie season!!! LOL

A special thanks goes out to John Graf for deciding to give it a try last year and letting me win one in front of my kids! smile.gif

B-RAD

post-70-1111165269.jpg

Sounds ALL good...THANKS RP and others....lets throw a little roundy racing, marathon racing and some timed river racing in there too biggrin.gif

B-rad's right--it's a hoot. We have all become hooked and bitten by the bug. It makes for some fun and friendly grudge matches, and gives us something to give eachother a hard time about during our long winter monthes up here. What Randy started for us has basically evolved into a fraternity like group of guys that get together and go cart racing and do other fun stuff when we aren't on the water too. It is gaining more attention and participation each season, which is something this sport really seems to need. It provides us weekend warriors the unique opportunity to act out our dreams by taking our family boats out and feel what it's like to race something with an engine on it in front of a group of spectators.

My guess would be that we'll have to have a little to get in the 150's. 140 would be no problem on hp alone with the right conditions. I used a 50 shot in Florida to make sure of 140 + in any conditions. I didn't have a strong motor(was pretty much stock) We blew our best in testing which would have been about like the stock motor with a 50 shot. It'll take close to 86 hp to go from 140 to 150 with same setup. Theres not 86 hp to be found in a 2.5 over stock. I didn't have the optimum propeller in Florida so the figures may change a little. I was turning to many r's and was way out of the power band. With a better prop that would put me in the peak torque I should gain some but I don't know how much. All in all I'd say yes probably a 50 shot on top of a good motor(400+) Of course this is all speculation and it may even surprise me. Formula that a friend showed me that I've been playing with shows a little over 8 hp to make 1 mph at 140 with the perfect setup. Dixon

Its more in the setup than anything. When I say its a fairly stock drag........it probably had 335+ . The yellow boat of Greg's that I run is not super lite........it retains stock fuel system,navigation lts, glove box, and is probably around 1400 lbs+. The white boat that I drag with is a little lighter.

Mike been wondering, what does a STV feel like driving at the 120mph and up speeds? I know with my Euro the whole world started changing above the 95mph range.

From waht I understand 100 and 120 feel the same.

My experience would tell me that 95 and 105 feel the same...and 90 is where it really starts to feel fast. biggrin.gif

I guess I just don't get it. My rig is around 1800# with fuel and me, and with a warmed over 260 will only run 105 (so far). So maybe it will run 110-115, but that's a LONG way to 140.

Keith,

Set up and prop make a big difference in how well the STV will run on the top end.

Also, a warmed over 260 is not in the same league as a Drag engine. the Drag makes much better power higher up the rpm band where it is needed for really high speeds. A stock Drag makes about 335 hp peaking between 8400-8600 rpm.

A SSM gearcase with 15:17 gears, a CHAMP midsection, and a 22p prop are a LOT different as well.

Comparing your STV to Dixon's is like comparing your boat to a bass boat.

The main difference is the fact that you actually have to up trim to counter some of the down force on the deck.......kinda hard to get used to at first at those speeds. The boat itself seems alot more violent with the dash and the steering wheel shaking alot. My euro would run upper 120's and was actually a little scarier that the rockets at 140+ Keith, there's no reason that boat shouldn't run 115+. For years every one wanted to "hang these boats out" which is not as fast as running flat. (less aerodynamic drag) The trick is to have the boat balanced so it'll run flat but still be dry. I think the procomp decks change the running attitude a little. I've never driven one that fast so I'm not sure. Where do you run your propshaft and what prop and who worked it? Dixon

I do think the PCS Deck does generate more nose lift, probably due to the large flat surface on the front deck, plus I think you sit farther back then the RR. Also I believe the Large inverted v provides more nose lift. However it is possible to make one run very flat. Yes I would agree that some weight in the nose helps...A SM case and literally just playing with the trim....air it out till your over the hump...then tap the trim in till it bounces at WOT...then a few taps out till you find that fine line between bounce and no bounce.....a low rake prop is imperative and the thing will tail lift and fly flat....some of my buds could not believe how flat I would run the PCS in its later days....its a bit nervey cause you think the centre spsonson may touch down and bow steer the boat around...it works tho....

seat time...seat time smile.gif

Here is another speed secret I would use..

When we would be lake racing and I would be playing with the guys with 2.5s they would more then likely out accelerate my 2.4.so I was always playing catch up.

One way to improve the aerodynamics and put a little more down force on the nose was to get to WOT, then literally lie my body down as flat as I could in the seat. My butt was actually on the floor and not in the seat. Literally all you could see was my helmet and the helmet was literally on the edge of the back seat. and it literally shifted more weight a few feet forward and improved the aerodynamics over the hullit was good for that extra 100-150 rpm to reel those guys in. of course the only thing I did not move was my foot throttle foot...however I did also find a little more travel in the pedal when I did this biggrin.gif

This might be harder to due in stringer hull where you already sit low and might not be that easy if your only 5 tall. So use some caution if you already have problems seeing the end of the pickles. biggrin.gif

The only problem was when you would hit a mystery wave....your back takes the hit instead of your A_S blink.gif

Where do you run your propshaft and what prop and who worked it?  Dixon

I run at 1/2" above. It's got a hydraulic jack plate on it though, so I can put it where I want. My best speed to date is 105 with a Mazco RE-3 27 at 8600rpm. It's stock.

I've also run an ET clone 24, cut from a big ear Merc 24 chopper. That was done by Performance Propeller in FL. Will pull to the limiter (I have the PCU set at 9k) at 99.x mph.

I've tried a 3 blade cleaver, and I have a stock Merc 4-blade (hump back) cleaver as well. I prefer how the RE's carry the boat though - but maybe I'm just used to them. I haven't spent a bunch of time with the cleavers.

Keith,

A 28p ET should push the boat to 115 mph at 8600 rpm. A worked 29p SRX or Mazco RE will do the same. All 3 props drive a bit diferently and you will need to determine what you like best.

RT/Firestarter is right about your propshaft being a bit low. With 5-6 inches of set back, the boat should like the propshaft at 3/4 to 13/16 above the pad. The STV's do not really need a hydraulic jack plate - it just adds weight to the transom.

Thanks guys. I have a set of the Stainless Marine indicators sitting in the garage to add to the boat. Once I do that, I'll know where it's at while running, so I can play more.

The main reason I have a hydraulic unit is due to the water levels down here. A lot of times, I need to jack it way up at the sand bars, beaches, etc.

well helmut's euro goes 122 and i thought that would be impossible! how fast has an stv gone b4? 150 sounds a little farfetched to me but i guess any thing is possible. we had a 95' euro(first 95' built) and a stock 260 (93' merc) completley virgin besides reeds, and plugs. It ran 104 the last time i drove it and it was 11 year old mota! I could never imagine going 120+ in an stv. Anyone wanna take me for a ride? biggrin.gif