Administrator

Cleaver Shoot test

I have been waiting for several months to test my friend, Charlie's Mercury 32p Lab cleaver. However, we could never just get our schedules, the weather, or time to meet. Charlie and I talked last season about trying the cleavers but I passed by on them because I never thought my 1998 Euroski with 99 280 engine could turn the RPM with a 32p. The engine just turned 100 hours  on the clock and still tested only to  3-4% per cylinder on a leak down test. The engine is completely stock including the Sportmaster (SM) lower unit. Charlie who has been in the performance boating hobby for over 35 years and has a collection of propellers that most of us could only dream about. The props are all lined up, hanging on the walls of his garage. Each prop has it's own story.  From the old Mercury 3 blade bronze racing to the inline 6 cylinder 2 blades. Also displayed on the walls are pictures of past boats he has owned. From early tunnels, Magnum Missile (I think), to a Hydrostream V-King, Checkmates, and the last one he owned until 1999, a 24 foot Douglas Skater. Over the last year I think I have tried just about everyone that would fit from an autographed Bill Seebold 26 and 30 pitch cleaver, to several Hoss Tritons. But every time Charlie said "Let's try the 32 cleaver!" My response was "No-o-o-o don't think I could ever turn them!"  I broke the number one rule; "Never turn down a propeller test"!

Now for a little base line information on my Euroski before doing the test. Normally I run the propeller shaft from ¾ to 1 1/8  inch above the pad with the engine mounted on CMC 5½ jack plate. With a Mercury ET28 or Mercury Lab 30p I have no problem hitting the rev limiter(7750). The ET28 topes out at 102MPH and the 30P lab cleaver 107mph. We made a guess and started with the engine set at 1 1/4 above the pad and hoped for at best of maybe 7300-7400 rpm. Also weather condition were very good with temperature of 70 degrees, 850ft above sea level elevation and low humidity of around 50%.

The first propeller Charlie came armed with was not the Mercury 32p cleaver, but a Mazco Offshore 32p! "Hey.. Where's the Mercury?" I said. Charlie said,  "lets do this first."  On goes the Mazco and in the water he goes. After a few passes to get the feel of the prop, it was time to make wide-open-throttle run. The GPS showed 104mph at 7400 RPM. Not to bad... so let's raise the engine to 1 1/2" and see what happens. Next run was 106mph at 7600. It was certainly better so let's go higher up to 1 5/8". The RPM went up to 7700 but the MPH dropped back to 105. It was still good, se we now  know where the Mazco like to run it's best. Another note the Mazco was a lot harder to get up on plane as it slipped excessively.

Now, for the Mercury 32p Lab cleaver. The first run with the propeller shaft at 1½" above the pad netted some very  surprising results. The GPS showed 112mph, yes that's not a typo, and RPM was 7500-7600.. and if the Mercury tachometer is correct that calculates to about 8% slip. For the next test, we raised the engine another 1/8 inch to a total of 1-5/8", and made another run. the RPM went up to the limiter(7750) but the MPH dropped back to 111mph. The boat also boat started to get a funny feeling at higher speeds. This propeller planned a lot quicker than the Mazco and accelerated very well especially above 100mph. The water pressure, during both tests, remained in the 11-15 PSI range and engine temperatures stayed around 155-165 degrees, even though the water was still 82 degrees.

Conclusions: Never imagined a Euroski with an all factory, stock engine and hull could ever break the 110mph mark. We are going to try this propeller again with less fuel and we will remove some of the normal equipment and accessories which were still in the boat. Such as 26 gallons of fuel, a 20 pound anchor, and several more items adding additional weight. this was a real world test!

Test-32cleaversa.jpg

Article by Larry "Euroski"     Posted 9/6/2001

Very good story Larry. Great freagin results!

I only wonder, from your sratring point the two props were 6 MPH's apart and the Merc was labbed.

Wonder how close the Mazco would be if it were labbed???

Motor was more effecient and able to run higher with the Merc wheel.

Freagin impressive results regardless.

Very good story Larry. Great freagin results!

I only wonder, from your sratring point the two props were 6 MPH's apart and the Merc was labbed.

Wonder how close the Mazco would be if it were labbed???

Motor was more effecient and able to run higher with the Merc wheel.

Freagin impressive results regardless.

My old STV with a 31 merc lab cleaver stock motor with milled heads 155 comp, stock comp on that 93 2.5 mariner offshore was 120psi.

Install the A42 digital box with 8200 rev limiter, boat went 117.6 on radar up river. With a 29 mazco RE29 in stock form boat ran 107mph at 8150, Had Gibbs Propeller rework the RE29 and it ran 112.1 at 8150rpm its hole shot and mid pull where more impresive improvment then the speed increas. Put on a 34P merc lab cleaver ran it to 8050rpm on nitrous boat went 126.3mph, Boat was slow to plain, ran it up to about 75mph then came on the nitrous. That was a one time test, my Skirt blew big time.

Both props would pull to the limiter but I freak out at over hundy when you bump the limiter, that boat didnt like it much.

NO jack plate or setback plate on that boat, motor was fixed at 1 1/4 above pad.

for instigator,

i am looking at getting a cleaver for my euro. i talked with john

at mazco today as i was also interested in one of his props. his

are labbed before they are shipped. so, that being the case, i

guess i will have to stick with the factory stuff. six mph is a big

difference. a new mazco cleaver goes for $800 plus shipping,

this price made the prop very tempting compared to the merc.

Matt, I sold that cleaver to "graynester" over at S&F... you may want to see if he willing to sell it?

maybe, something to think about.

i can get a brand spanking new 32 with

the torque flow hub for approx. $650

from my local dealer. but thats not

one that is labbed though. a friend of

mine just bought a $400 prop off of a

guy from s and f that looked mint. the

first time he took it out, the first pass it

slung a blade. so he wasted $400 and

now has a real ulgy looking cavitation

plate, or lack of.